Vandegrift High School
The mission of the VHS Counseling team is first and foremost to build relational capacity with students, parents, faculty, and the larger VHS Community in order to promote social emotional well-being, confidence in an academic plan, and options for future endeavors in college and career pathways. As an extension of the VHS administration and faculty our mission is to begin the signature VHS experience for all who walk through our doors.
Our VHS Counseling team believes in a growth mindset in continuing to critically analyze our processes and procedures to create best practice for our students, parents, and community. Lastly, collaboration among a strong united counseling team enables us to serve our students, parents, faculty and community, while fulfilling our intrinsic desire to make a difference and give our lives meaning.
Services the VHS Counseling Department Provides
Some of the specific services offered by the department are below, but please never hesitate to come to us first if you have a question or need direction. We are here to support you any way we can.
College and career planning
- Counselors will meet with your students each year to focus on current goals to keep students on track for success.
- We ask that parents take part in a yearly one-on-one conference with the Counselor and student to discuss student progress and future plans.
- Counselors will meet with each student individually in late fall / early spring to plan for the following school year.
- Students in crisis can seek support through the Counseling Office and counselors will work with families to provide the appropriate resources based on individual cases.
- Whether it is a conflict with a friend, anxiety about coursework, or a death in the family, the counselors are here to support students and families with various needs.
- The answer may not always be at the school, but we can direct families and students to outside resources that may provide additional support.
We encourage students to self-advocate prior to parent intervention. Parents can support their student in this by discussing what steps they should take to seek support for their needs.
Please contact us with any questions that you may have.