Student Selection & Expectations
AVID targets students in the academic middle who have the potential to succeed in advanced courses, particularly:
- First Generation College Students
- Economically Disadvantaged Students
- Students from groups underrepresented in higher education
- Students with special circumstances
The selection process is as follows:
- Students are recommended to the program by a teacher, counselor, parent or themselves
- Interested students complete the application process and are interviewed
- The AVID site team (composed of an administrator, counselor, AVID site coordinator, and teachers) selects students to enroll on their campus
AVID Student Expectations
- Students must enroll in the AVID elective course which is taught during the school day.
- A contract is signed by the student, parent, AVID Coordinator, AVID Administrator
- Students in AVID must commit to taking college-prep courses, including Pre-AP and Advanced Placement.
- Students must pursue participation in extracurricular activities and community service.
- Students must maintain an AVID binder with an agenda.
- Students must have a daily dedicated time for homework, studying and working on projects.
- Writing - Students receive instruction in writing to learn strategies, the writing process and timed writing
- College & Careers - Investigation of colleges, college majors and career choices
- Strategies for Success - Time management, organizational and study skills.
- Collaborative Study Groups- Facilitated by college students (not one-one tutoring)
- 10-step Tutorial Process based on Socratic Method - Use of inquiry to guide student learning
A Week in AVID