Eccles Street
Eccles Street
HISTORY OF DOMINICAN CONVENT AND COLLEGES, ECCLES STREET, DUBLIN
1882
28th December, Mother Antonina Hanley and three other sisters from Sion Hill founded a Convent in Eccles Street and joined by two further sisters took on the responsibility for the development and running of an educational establishment for girls. The Dominican Sisters were unique in education history in Ireland in setting out to provide for the educational needs of the daughters of the growing urban Catholic middle class and later (with the founding of a boarding school) of rural Ireland. The passing of the Intermediate Act of 1878 opened up a new system for the education of girls, which was previously denied to them. With vision, fortitude and practical common sense, these sisters set about transforming Tyrawley House (19 Eccles Street) into a Convent for the Dominican Community and starting with No. 18 into an educational establishment to answer the needs not only of the time, but for future generations over the next 100 years. The Community were supported by philanthropists, including Count Christopher Ryder, whose loan for the purchase of the premises later became a gift and was named as a founder on the trowel used for the formal founding of the new wing in 1888. Tyrawley House was not part of a terrace but had space either side of it which allowed for new buildings on Eccles Street.
1883
10th January the Day School opened for Junior and Senior pupils at 18 Eccles Street with 15 pupils. In April the Orphanage of Our Lady of Sion was opened to cater for the needs of ‘distressed and orphaned’ daughters of parents who had fallen on hard times. A few years later, this name ceased to be used and the orphanage was assimilated into the day school which was renamed Dominican College, Eccles Street.
1884
In September 1884 regular study for the Intermediate Board Examination commenced for the seniors and three students were presented and passed with Honours. During the years 1884-1888 12 Exhibitions, 23 Prizes, 212 Honours and a Silver Medal were awarded to pupils of Eccles Street by the Intermediate Board. The new style of curriculum established by the sisters almost from the onset was not exclusively preparation for examinations but the formation of character and cultivation of taste was very much included. The education provided ensured the girls from Eccles Street would be prepared to take their places and contribute in the academic, business, scientific, political and artistic worlds of the time, during the turbulent times of the foundation of the new State in Ireland and into the era of the establishment of Civil Rights for Women. However, it must not be overlooked that the years spent in Eccles Street prepared the majority of girls for the unique position as mothers of the next generation.
1885
University Classes opened in St Mary’s University College, the first Catholic women’s university college in Ireland. The college was co-founded by Mother Patrick Sheil with Mother Antonina to provide classes for girls who were preparing to sit for the Examining Board of the Royal University, who awarded degrees to its successful students. From 1893-1895 Mary Hayden, First President of DCPPU, was on the professional staff of St Mary’s University College as was Eamonn de Valera.
1888
The first new block was built to accommodate the expanding number of pupils wishing to attend Eccles Street. This new block held the Junior School, Study Hall and Dormitory which later became the Gymnasium, an Art Room and the School Library. In this year Mother Antonina Hanley died to the great grief of the community.
1891
6th September the new Boarding School was opened.
1895
No’s 20 & 21 Eccles Street were acquired and St Josephs was created with classrooms on the lower floors and the Junior Dormitories in the upper floor.
1898
St Thomas Academy for junior boys was opened in April 1898 and it flourished with many of the boys accompanying their sisters to school. The boys’ school was located in St Joseph’s No 21, then No. 15 and in 1958 moved to 13 Eccles Street. After receiving First Holy Communion these boys would continue their education in local boys’ schools such as Belvedere College, O’Connell’s and Coláiste Mhuire.
1900
From 1900 - 1909 Mary Hayden, the First President DCPPU, taught English and History to the Senior and Intermediate Classes in Dominican College.