Foreign Language in Elementary School (FLES)
In 2009, the Dobbs Ferry School District implemented a FLES (Foreign Language in Elementary School) program, bringing 75 minutes of foreign language instruction to 2nd graders every week. Over the course of the next four years, the program was expanded to encompass 2nd through 5th grade.
The Dobbs Ferry Schools Foundation granted $200,000 over four years to the District for a four year trial of a foreign language program in Springhurst.
Our support for this program is in keeping with the strategic goals defined by the administration and our desire to work in concert with the District to continuously enhance the opportunities given to Dobbs Ferry students.
"Sixth grade language class was just like every other subject for me - another step forward with a subject I already had gotten to know. I already had a basic sense that grammar was different from one language to another. I can't imaging dropping into a language with no prep. We didn't do that with math!" - 9th Grade student
We believe that FLES is critical to every student’s formative years insofar as it has been proven to provide the following benefits:
- Enhance brain development
- Increase creativity and problem solving skills
- Improve memory
- Increase awareness and appreciation of other cultures
- Initiate a lifelong ability to communicate in a global society
- Cultivate a desire to continue the study of a second language, and possibly other languages
- Enhance development of reading, writing, listening and speaking skills in both English and Spanish
- Support other academic content areas
- Build language proficiency with each new year of study
- Further achievement toward state and national language standards
Your generous gift can be enhanced if you have access to a Matching Gift Program. Please consider submitting an application; it can make a significant difference!
The Dobbs Ferry Schools Foundation, Inc. was incorporated in the State of New York in 1994 and is a non-profit organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Service. Donations and contributions made to the DFSF (EIN #13-3757973) are fully tax deductible to the extent allowed by law.