What does B.A.S.E. stand for?

A: Before and After School Enterprises

Is B.A.S.E. licensed as a childcare provider?

A: Yes, we are licensed through the Colorado Department of Human Services as a School-Aged Child Care Program.

Does B.A.S.E. staff work for Douglas County Schools?

A: Yes, all B.A.S.E. staff members are Douglas County School District employees. They abide by the same terms and policies of the Agreement between Douglas County Federation of Classified Employees, affiliated with the American Federation of Teachers and the AFL-CIO, and the Board of Education of Douglas County School District.

Do B.A.S.E. employees the same background checks as teachers?

A: Yes, all B.A.S.E. employees, including seasonal / temporary staff, receive a criminal record check through Colorado Bureau of Investigation. In addition to a criminal record check, a review of the State Department’s automated system to determine if the employee is the subject of a report of child abuse or neglect.

What is the B.A.S.E. work organization / chain of command?

A: Our B.A.S.E. Department is part of Business Services. Our District Coordinator and the Building Principals oversee B.A.S.E. Programs and supervise B.A.S.E. Directors. Directors manage the operations of programs available at each school, and Directors meet or exceed the Director qualifications required by Colorado Department of Human Services. B.A.S.E. Managers supervise Assistant Managers, Senior Program Leaders, Program Leaders, and/or Program Aides.

What are the tuition rates?

A: Rates are set by site, and vary by program. Contact your B.A.S.E. Program for more information.

How is our B.A.S.E. programs funded?

A: Our programs are self-funded and rely solely on tuition payments provided by parents. Expenses include all labor costs, including salary and benefits, supplies and materials, utilities, custodial and maintenance costs, licensing fees, and field trip costs (transportation, entrance fees).

Does B.A.S.E offer any financial assistance?

A: We have fiscal agreements with CCAP (Child Care Assistance Program) which is facilitated by Douglas County Department of Human Services Child Care Assistance Program. Speak with your B.A.S.E. Manager for information about your site


What ages of children does your programs serve?

A: Children shall be a minimum 5 years, 0 months and a maximum 13 years of age. Children who are four years old and eligible to enter kindergarten during the 2018-2019 school year may access the program no earlier than the first day of kindergarten class.

Are there other eligibility requirements?

A: Yes. Children shall be enrolled in the Douglas County School District. Priority enrollment will be given to students who are enrolled in the school where the program is housed. Children shall comply with behavioral expectations as indicated in B.A.S.E. parent handbook.

Do you serve children with special needs?

A: Yes. Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) provide that no otherwise qualified individual with a disability shall, on the basis of disability, be excluded from participation in, and denied the benefits of, or otherwise be subjected to discrimination under Douglas County School District activities and programs.

The B.A.S.E. Manager may request to meet with the family and school team members who have knowledge of a child with special needs prior the first day of attendance. The purpose of the meeting is to develop a support plan to outline reasonable accommodations and ensure the safety and well being of the child.

What if my child is prescribed medication, which needs to be administered while he/she is attending B.A.S.E.?

A: Please communicate your child’s health needs with the Manager prior to the first day of attendance to ensure our team has the necessary training to address your child’s health needs. We also need a current medication release from the child’s doctor in order to administer medication. All medications will be stored in a locked area, unless it is emergency medication (epi-pen’s, inhalers, for example). Contact your B.A.S.E. Program for the correct forms and to discuss your child’s needs.

What are your hours of operation?

A: Hours of operation vary by site, although most of our Before and After School Programs open at 6:30 a.m. and close at 6:00 p.m. Contact your B.A.S.E. Program for more information.

How can I get information about a specific B.A.S.E. Program and what is offered?

A: Access our BASE Contact List. Most of our sites have important information including parent handbooks, enrollment forms, activity calendars, and contact information available on the school’s website.

Do programs remain open on days that the school is closed and on In-Service / Professional Development Days, when teachers are working and students are not in school?

A: Usually, yes it is available. We operate a “Full Day” program on most In-Service / Professional Development days, as well as seasonal breaks such as Summer, Fall, Winter, and Spring Breaks. Check your B.A.S.E. calendar and / or B.A.S.E. parent handbook to see when your B.A.S.E. will be open.

What is the difference between Kindergarten Enrichment and Full-Day Kindergarten?

A: Kindergarten Enrichment is an optional program for kindergarten students, and it is part of the B.A.S.E. (Before and After School Enterprise) Program offered at the school. Kindergarten Enrichment offers on-site enrichment for half-day kindergarten students. Kindergarten Enrichment curriculum, programming, and fees are established at each site. Tuition is tax deductible, and financial assistance is available through the Colorado Child Care Assistance Program, governed by Douglas County Human Services. Full day kindergarten is a tuition based instructional program implemented by the school. It is not tax deductible. Scholarships may be available and varies by site. For more information, view Kindergarten Enrichment vs. Full Day Kindergarten Contact your B.A.S.E. Program for more information about Kindergarten Enrichment.

If I have a concern or complaint regarding a particular B.A.S.E. program, whom do I contact?

A: Direct all concerns or complaints to the B.A.S.E. Director. If the B.A.S.E. Director does not address the matter in a satisfactory manner, parents may contact the District Coordinator for B.A.S.E. Programs, Alicia Elmore or the Building Principal. Alicia Elmore may be contacted at (720) 433-1100 or Alicia.Elmore@dcsdk12.org

If I want to report a licensing violation whom do I contact?

A: Please contact State of Colorado, Department of Human Services, Division of Child Care 1575 Sherman Street, Denver, Colorado 80203 (303) 688-4825.