Scaling HQPBL for Deeper Learning Impact Project
November 2018 | Vol. 1, No. 3
WELCOME NEW TEAM MEMBERS
Lisa Mireles, Director of District Leadership, Buck Institute for Education
Keith Hui, Superintendent, Pearl City-Waipahu Complex Area , Hawaii Department of Education
Kathy Burch, School Renewal Specialist, Pearl City-Waipahu Complex Area , Hawaii Department of Education
Sharyl Lynn Fujii, PBL Resource Teacher, Pearl City-Waipahu Complex Area , Hawaii Department of Education
SPOTLIGHT ON STUDENT PROJECTS
Whose Community? is an empowering and informative project designed to help newcomer students--students new to the United States--better understand the community in which they live: Manchester, New Hampshire.
PROJECT RESEARCH DESIGN
In September, the research practice partnership, led by Education Northwest, finalized the project's research design that focuses on two overarching questions:
How does quality PBL scale and spread within and across schools?
To what extent do students, including those students furthest from opportunity, experience two quality projects each year?
RECENT PARTNER PUBLICATIONS
5 WAYS YOU CAN SCALE DEEPER LEARNING
1. Commit to HQPBL - Whether you are a teacher, business leader or university professor, commit to promoting HQ PBL to scale deeper learning. https://hqpbl.org/commit/
2. Join the Shadow a Student Challenge - Take a journey through the eyes of a student, identifying meaningful opportunities to use deeper learning to improve the school experience for your students, and then taking action to create change at your school site. http://shadowastudent.org/
3. Create a Graduate Profile - Take the first step in framing a new vision for deeper learning for your school system. https://portraitofagraduate.org/
4. Join the Share your Learning Campaign - Create opportunities for students to share their story, reflect on their growth, and engage in real dialogue with others about their learning and their futures. http://www.shareyourlearning.org/
5. Show Most Likely to Succeed - Show this film to inspire your school community to reimagine how deeper learning can transform what students and teachers are capable of doing. https://www.mltsfilm.org/