TRANSITION PROGRAM FOR THE BEDFORD and EVERETT AREA SCHOOL DISTRICTS
Transition is the process of preparing students for life after they leave high school that may include successful participation in Postsecondary Education or Training, Employment, the Military and Independent Living activities. These areas are often referred to as “Post School Goals” and are the driving force behind IEPs written for students’ age 14 to 21 years old.
The Bedford and Everett Area School Districts provide a variety of services and activities to assist the student in exploring, planning, preparing and achieving their post high school goals. Services and Activities can include but are not limited to:
- Career Interest Activities such as formal interest/ability inventories and surveys
- Career Exploration Activities such as job shadowing
- Learning Style Inventories
- Tours of post-secondary facilities such as Allegany College of MD, Hiram G. Andrews Center, and Cornerstone Vocational Resource Center
- Information on post-secondary education options such as attending College and Career Fairs along with accessing financial aide
- Transition Work Experience: Paid, Community Based Vocational Training or Volunteer
- Information and assistance in linking students with agencies and programs such as: Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, CareerLink, Bedford County Transition Council, and Cornerstone Community Services.
- Registration assistance for Voting, Selective Service and the Shared Ride programs.
- Coordination of informational meetings and training on transition topics for both students and parents/guardian
- Information on housing options, setting up guardianship, power of attorney and trusts
- Recreational opportunities available in the area
- Transition Portfolio upon graduation
Effective Transition planning is a partnership between the student, parents or guardians, teachers, and administrators. The Bedford and Everett Area School Districts strive to help the student and parent or guardian look at the student as they are today, imagine what they would want to do after graduation then provide services and activities to achieve those dreams of tomorrow.
Information on and the definition of transition services and topics in this website were provided from information accessed from the Pennsylvania Department of Education, PaTTAN and the Pennsylvania Secondary Transition Guide.