Highly Capable Program (HiCap)
The Burlington-Edison Highly Capable Program (HiCap) serves students K-12 who perform or show potential for performing at significantly advanced academic levels when compared with others of their age, experiences, or environments.
Highly capable students may possess, but are not limited to, the following learning characteristics:
- Capacity to learn with unusual depth of understanding, to retain what has been learned, and to transfer learning to new situations;
- Capacity and willingness to deal with increasing levels of abstraction and complexity earlier than their chronological peers;
- Creative ability to make unusual connections among ideas and concepts;
- Ability to learn quickly in their area(s) of intellectual strength; and
- Capacity for intense concentration and/or focus.
To be placed in the Highly Capable Program, students are referred, tested, and selected for services based on multiple criteria.