Quality Amazon Basins are expensive animals. As such, should you invest in one (or several) we have a few general practices that we recommend to keepers of these extraordinary creatures:
- Maintain a closed system - Purchase captive born animals and never bring wild caught animals into your collection.
- Avoid frequent handling of your animals - try to create a consistent environment with minimal disturbances.
- Maintain detailed records on each animal.
- Never house more than one Basin in a cage except during mating.
- Always use a competent antibacterial and antiviral disinfectant on cages, water bowls, feeding tongs, etc.
- Always quarantine new animals obtained from other collections even if the animals are captive born - depending on the circumstances, a three to six month quarantine period may be appropriate.
- Accept the fact that these are slow growing and maturing animals and use restraint and moderation in your feeding regiment.
Maddy, adult female Amazon Basin