Growing mobility, intensifying global competition for students and talent, changing demands and new methods of education are some of the factors that are forcing new innovations through cutting edge research in the field of agriculture. The establishment of Centre of Excellence for Innovations at the Agricultural College and Research Institute is one such activity of the Government of Tamil Nadu.
Agricultural College and Research Institute (AC & RI), Madurai is one of the constituent colleges of TNAU celebrating its Golden Jubilee for its services to the student and farming community across the nation. Improving research facilities of this institute is very vital considering the expertise of scientists those who are involved in teaching and research. Combining excellence in teaching and research by establishing the centre for doing focused research in crops and crop production technologies suitable for southern districts of Tamil Nadu will form the theme of this centre. This needs establishment of large scale research facilities to use the tools of science with large investments in state of the art equipment and associated infrastructure. The opportunity for establishing the “Centre of Excellence for Innovations” will further boost its services since the centre will work towards
1) providing access to research expertise and equipment,
2) building regional clusters of technological excellence,
3) advancing research and adding value to technology,
4) facilitating partnerships and collaborations,
5) training and mentoring entrepreneurs and
6) establishing incubating startups.
3. Project strategy
The State Government has supported the creation of Centre of Innovation at AC & RI, Madurai to take up advanced research in the focus areas of Southern agro climatic ecosystems of Tamil Nadu.
1. Approach to quality education to all undergraduate and postgraduate students through high end research innovations in the fields of agriculture and horticulture.
2. Establishing approaches to creating value from research, in collaboration with allied enterprise, social and cultural partners.
3. Establishing partnerships for improved education and training to have continuous support to innovations and entrepreneurship
4. Establishing viable innovation system which can remain as the base for sustainability of education, research, innovation and entrepreneurship at national and global level.
4. Project goals
5. Expected outcomes