Frequently Asked Questions
1. What can I do, if my discipline is not listed in the drop menu in the Application Form?
In case your discipline is not listed in the drop menu, it can be filled in the additional information tab provided in the online application.
2. My research area is not listed in the application form
Choose any field in the area tab. This does not matter at the application stage. If you get shortlisted, we will send you a list of projects - you can choose for interview; at this stage you can make a choice based on your area of interest.
3. How will my application be evaluated for short-listing?
The short-listing criteria of the department in IITM, corresponding to your undergraduate/post-graduate discipline, will be applicable.
4. Are there any entrance exam or interview to get into IDRP MS/PhD programme?
Yes, candidates will be screened through a written exam and the shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview on the subsequent day. The written exam may not be applicable for external/part-time candidates (the rules for this change - so please check the admissions page everytime)
5. When can I expect a call letter for the written exam?
You will receive a call letter for written exam approximately three weeks before the day of exam.
6. What should I bring with me for written exam?
A printed copy of your application, a printed copy of call letter, an ID proof and a pen. A copy of all supporting documents, score cards of competitive examinations (if any), certificates and their originals have to be brought too for verification of the candidates who pass the screening test.
7. What should I bring with me on the day of my interview?
A printed copy of your application, a copy of all supporting documents, score cards of competitive examinations (if any), certificates and their originals for verification.
8. What are the dates for written exam/interview/publication of results?
Please refer the link for detailed information and dates of written exam and interview.
9. I won’t be able to attend the written exam/interview on the scheduled date. Is it possible to change the date of interview?
The scheduled date for written exam and interview are fixed and cannot be changed. You need to attend the written exam and interview on the scheduled dates.
10. What is the syllabus and pattern of the written exam?
Please refer to the link given on the IDRP website for detailed information about the online screening test.
11. Is the screening test fully objective or does it contain both objective and descriptive questions?
The screening test is fully objective. The question paper pattern is given on the website
12. Are there any negative markings for wrong answer in the written exam?
Yes, there are negative markings for wrong answers. The marking scheme for written exam is given on the website.
13. My research area of interest is not listed in application portal?
Pick up any closest area and complete/submit your application first. The list of projects for you to choose for interview will be sent later to you after you clear the shortlisting.
14. How will I register my project choices for interview?
A google form will be mailed to shortlisted candidates for filling out their project choices. Shortlisted candidates have to fill two project choices prioritized based on their preferences.
15. I have applied for MS programme under IDRP, can I choose the projects that are listed for PhD or Direct PhD?\
No, candidates applying for M.S cannot choose projects listed under PhD or direct PhD, since the requirements for project listed under each category is specific.
In case your query has not been addressed here, kindly check IITM FAQ or mail your queries to idrp at smail dot iitm dot ac dot in