How do I participate?
There are a few small steps to take to become involved in GAPP.
The first step is to attend one of the informational meetings in the spring semester to meet the coordinator and others also interested in GAPP. At the meeting, you will learn about the goals and expectations the program has. This is your chance to ask questions!
The second step is to fill out a form stating that you are interested in hosting. As soon as we receive the profiles from the German school, you can look through the profiles to decide which student you think you would fit with the best. The coordinator will make the final decisions as to who will be partnered with who. As soon as that is done, we will send out contact information so that the students can communicate during the summer through email, letters, Facebook, Skype, Instagram, What's App, etc.
We will have another meeting with all the families in the fall to prepare you for the upcoming hosting. German students come to Grand Forks in the fall of the academic year and American students travel to Germany the following summer. German schools run longer into the summer.
And last, but not least, talk with your German teacher!
To recap the timeline:
1. Learn about the fall hosting opportunities.
2. Sign up to host a German student arriving in the fall.
1. Contact German student.
1. Sign up to host a German student arriving soon, if you haven't done so yet.
2. Contact German student, if you haven't done so yet.
3. Wait anxiously until they arrive in October.
Late Fall (November-December):
1. Apply to travel to German the upcoming summer (Application packets will be available)
2. Get accepted.
1. Attend meetings and classes prior to travel.
2. Complete pre-travel requirements
1. Travel to Germany!