For this exam, you need to choose one of the questions below and complete a 5-page, typed answer. You need to demonstrate an understanding of the material presented in lecture, films, discussion, and the textbook. You work must include correct grammar, syntax and referencing
Please cite as follows:
Documents: (Author, line #) or (Author, p. #) or (Author, section #)
Textbook: (Blois, p#)
1. Examine the strengths and weaknesses of Spartan society. Why was it able to survive for hundreds of years? Why did it eventually fail?
2. From the end of the first Persian War to the end of the Peloponnesian War, Athens went from the height of power to a more second-rate city state in Greece. Discuss what you see as the most important events that led to Athens fall. You must justify your answers.
3. Compare and contrast Archaic and Classical Greece. Why is it possible to delineate two different historical periods? What are the continuations within Greek society.
4. Compare and contrast Classical and Hellenistic Greece. Why is it possible to delineate two different historical periods? What are the continuations within Greek society.
5. When it comes to the ancient world, historians often have to focus on the powerful for they are the ones for whom we have sources. However, Athens provides some opportunity to reconstruct the lives of those who are often on the margins - women, slaves, foreign nationals, etc. Using the information provided, discuss what historians can learn about the society and daily experience of those without power in Athens.