https://sites.google.com/a/barlar.org/barlar-military-service/dolly-barlar-davis/wwIIdolly.jpg

Back to Military Service Main Page   |    Home    |    Email    |    Contact 


( 1926 - 2008 )

G. Granddaughter of William Henry Barlow
Granddaughter of Alfred Jordan Barlow (Barlar)

Daughter of Thomas Jefferson Barlar


_____________________________



Many women performed needed services directly
support­ing
military units both overseas and in the
United States.


All around the country women stepped into government jobs
vacated by men. More than a million women, many of them
young and single, came to Washington D.C.

As more men
were deployed overseas, women, both military
and civilian,
were admitted into professional classifications previously reserved exclusively for men. By 1944, women
accounted
for more than a third of civil service jobs.

Women who answered the call to government service were
not promised careers. “Government Girls” as they were known
could only hold their jobs for the duration of the national
emergency because the federal employees who had been
drafted or
reassigned were entitled to reclaim their jobs at
war’s end.


Clerical work was a typical female job in the War Department,
and women moved mountains of paper during the course of the
war. Women civilian employees of the War Department were
permitted to wear WAC uniforms, obscuring the distinction
between military units and civilian employees.



__________________________________

Dolly Adell (Barlar) Davis


   WW II - Civilian Service  

Dolly graduated HS in 1943 in Columbia, Tennessee.
After working in the defense industry (ex., Oak Ridge)
for approximately 1 year, she next went to the
War Department, Officers Division in Washington, DC,
where she served until the war was over.

Birth Place: Tennessee
Buried: Wilson County, NC


In the Military Family:  

Dolly is the sister of WW II veteran Claxton Barlar, and the aunt of Cecil 'Wayne'  Austin.


Women Serving the Military



Above is a photo of women at work in an apartment house
turned into office space for the Foreign Function Bureau,
Washington, D.C., December, 1941.