5. Sociocultural Exchanges
Exercise 1: Culture, Diasporas and Consumerism
- What is culture? (Guinness 142)
- What is a diaspora?
- Define the changes in Mexican culture and its diaspora as a result of the Mexico-USA migration for the origin and the destination
- Define cultural imperialism and Cultural Homogenization. Explain how each of the following are factors affecting them:
- Trends in spoken language
- Mass media
- Core periphery / dependency theory
Read together Noreen Janus’s text in Guinness p. 158, and consider the video you watched for homework
- Define Marketing
- Define Brand and Branding
- Explain how can a TNC commodify a culture?
- What historical events have lead to the rise of the Consumer Culture?
Part 2: Select two different branded commodities and examine the spatial and temporal pattern of adoption on a global scale.
Using Codrington p. 622 to 625 and Guinness p. 161 to 166
Each group will answer the following questions using Coca-Cola or McDonald’s as a case study:
- Give an example of reverse adaptation
- Give an example of adoption
- Give an example of adaptation
- Describe your company’s brand identity and brand image
- List the various spatial pattern of adoption of your company on a global scale. Consider physical, economic and social factors.
- Create a timeline listing the various temporal pattern of adoption of your company on a global scale. Consider physical, economic and social factors.
You will present your findings to the rest of the class.
Exercise 2: Remote Societies
Examine the impact of cultural diffusion on one indigenous and remote society through the influence of international interactions
Watch Martin Schoeller's account of his trip in Kayapo country. He is the photographer from the National Geographic article your read for homework.
- “The only things we need from the white culture are flip-flops, flashlights, and glasses” - Pukatire Discuss this statement
- Discuss the reading and video considering
- The aspect of Kayapo culture that are traditional
- Diffusion of western culture in terms of adoption and adaptation
- Describe Kendjam
- Explain the cause of the Monte Belo Dam conflict and its consequences on the Kayapo people
- Describe the positive and negative impacts of contact on the Kayapo Indians
When you are done, get in groups of 2 or 3 to write an outline for the following Paper 3 question: (Share the document with me)
- Describe the location and characteristics of one remote indigenous society. 
- Examine the impacts of cultural diffusion on this society. 
If time, share your thesis statements in the class