Personal Curriculum

Annual Notice of the Right to Request a Personal Curriculum Modifying Michigan Merit Curriculum Requirements for Graduation

What is a personal curriculum?

The personal curriculum (PC) is a process to modify specific Michigan Merit Curriculum (MMC) high school credit requirements and/or content expectations based on a student’s unique learning needs and post-secondary goals. It is designed to serve students who want to accelerate or go beyond the MMC requirements and students who need to individualize MMC requirements to earn a high school diploma.

Who may request a personal curriculum?

A personal curriculum may be requested by

· The parent or guardian of a student for whom a personal curriculum is sought, or

· The student if the student is of the age of majority, or

· An emancipated minor may request a personal curriculum,

· A teacher who is currently teaching the student (who currently teaches in, or whose expertise is in, a subject area proposed to be modified by the PC, or who is determined by the principal to have qualifications otherwise relevant to developing a PC), or

· a school counselor or school employee qualified to act in a counseling role.

Districts MUST offer the PC option and respond to PC requests but are NOT required to approve all PC requests.

When may a personal curriculum be requested?

If the student has an Individualized Education Program (IEP), the personal curriculum request may be submitted prior to 9th grade.

(Note: Any resulting PC may not be implemented until the student begins/enters 9th grade.) If the student does not have an Individualized Education Program (IEP), the personal curriculum request may be requested after the student has competed 9th grade.

For more information on the Personal Curriculum (PC), or to make a request for a PC, please contact [insert name and contact information] or visit the district’s website at [insert specific website link to district PC procedures].

Personal Curriculum Forms

Parent/Guardian, Student (18 yrs old & older), & School Personnel may request a Personal Curriculum

Request for IEP Personal Curriculum Request for General Ed Personal Curriculum