Gr. 6 LAL
MacKinnon Middle School
137 E. Central Ave.
Wharton, NJ 07885
9/18/17: Although student online access to our current LAL Literature book is no longer available from Prentice Hall, this website gives access to students for self-tests on each story, background on authors/stories, and independent research ideas.
Supplies needed by Tuesday, 9/4/18:
SCHOOLWIDE DAILY SUPPLIES for all core classes:
* pencil pouch containing pencils, pens (red + blue or black), highlighters (2-3 colors), earbuds (preferably WITH MICROPHONE), glue stick
* 2-pocket folder for homework
SUPPLY LIST FOR LAL gr. 6-8:
* spiral 3-subject notebook (Mead or Accel higher-quality is recommended since these brands are much more durable)
* index cards (1-2 packs)
* post-its (3 packs to begin with but will need to replenish)
REMEMBER: SUMMER READING PROJECT IS DUE on Tuesday, 9/4/18). Don't procrastinate! The directions were posted all summer on the wbps.org home page!
(Since we are transitioning to standards-based-report-cards, the rubric for the project has changed from the original format so that it is now scored on the basis of relevant standards, as opposed to an overall score of 100 points.)
Welcome to class!
Days 1-3 independent activities:
- log into Google Classroom
- complete the online student interest inventory; due Fri., 9/8/17
- preview the classroom syllabus; parents sign p. 5 and return by Fri., 9/15/17
- preview the classroom website
- select 3 adjectives that describe you and then create your personal collage
- begin independent reading and log into Whooosreading.com
- begin friendly letter to self? Use the Friendly Letter format (scroll down past the Business letter to the Friendly letter):
Days 1-3 whole group/small group activities:
- set up notebooks and supplies
- "Why You Need English Class" humorous examples
- JENGA introductory game
- "Monster" poem + tea party
- "Autobiography in Five Short Chapters" poem