About New Castle County Department of Special Services
The New Castle County Department of Special Services is comprised of four divisions that manage different aspects of all County assets:
- Engineering is responsible for the design & construction of County buildings, parks & sanitary sewer infrastructure.
- The Environmental Services section is charged with ensuring that New Castle County is in compliance with State & Federal environmental laws.
- Environmental Operations handles the operation, maintenance & repair of all New Castle County sewers, wastewater pumping stations, wastewater treatment plants, & County-owned stormwater management facilities.
- Internal Services is responsible for the upkeep of all County-owned buildings, maintenance of County parks & grounds, acquisition & repair of all County vehicles & non-office equipment, as well as operation of the equestrian center at Carousel Park.
- The Administrative Division monitors each of the divisions for quality of services, oversees both the operating & capital budgets, maintains an inventory of all New Castle County property, & handles employee training & worker's compensation matters.
New Castle County is trying to stop untreated sewage from spilling from the sewer system into local streams and rivers. One cause of these spills is buildups of cooking fat, oils, and grease in sewer pipes -- known as FOG. When residents dump FOG down their kitchen sink, it builds up and eventually clogs sewer pipes, causing backups into homes and spills into local waterways. Yuck!