Westside's Battle of the Books
Westside Community Council is proud to host the Battle of the Books for the 2017-2018 school year!
This website is under construction, but please come back to stay up-to-date on this year's battle.
Mark your calendar - the battle will be held on Saturday, March 24, 2018 at Westside Middle School.
Registration will run from November 3rd through November 21st. Please see your November school newsletter for registration information.
All 4th–6th graders in Westside Community Schools are invited to participate in the Battle of the Books. Students form teams of 3-5 students and participate in a quiz bowl-style competition. Even though teams may have 5 students, at most 4 students may compete in any round.
Each team is guaranteed at least 2 rounds of competition. Since this is a team event, individual students do not have to read all the books on the list in order to participate.
Finalized List of Books for the 2017-2018 Battle
1. My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George
2. Redwall by Brian Jacques
3. Unusual Chickens for the Exceptional Poultry Farmer by Kelly Jones
4. Masterminds by Gordon Korman
5. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
6. Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
7. Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
8. Wonder by R. J. Palacio
9. Hatchet by Gary Paulsen
10. Esperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz Ryan
11. Love, Ruby Lavender by Deborah Wiles
12. The Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth Winthrop