News and Events
Westerton Parish Church - CHRISTMAS FAYRE
Saturday 23rd November 2019 2–4pm
· Tea Room! Toiletries! Candles!
· Hamper Raffle! Tombolas!
· Christmas Stall!
· Home-baking! Plants! Sweets!
Entry £3 which includes tea and scone/cake/biscuit (children free)
Westerton Christmas Lights Switch-On - Sat 30 Nov 2019 - 6-8pm
- Live Music
- Craft Fair
- Childrens Activities
- Free Mince Pies and Festive Drinks
- .. and much more!
Kindly supported by Bearsden West Community Council
Westerton Nursery - Community Halloween Party
Friday 1st November 6-9pm Westerton Hall
Music - Fancy Dress - BYOB - Games - Prizes
Tickets £4 Adult, £2.50 Child, £12 Family (up to 3 Children)
You can reserve tickets via Facebook or pick them up at nursery
Cairnhill Woods Group - Spooky Bat Walk
- Sun 27th October 2019 @4pm
Guided walk with invited bat experts, around Cairnhill Woods. FREE (donations welcome).
Meeting point is at Main Woods entrance (between 102-104 Henderland Road)
(note: subject to weather conditions)
Westerton Gala Day - Saturday 7th September 2019
This year's theme is SPACE. This is in celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Moon Landing. You can dress up, design your bake off entries to match or simply come along and enjoy some of the STEM activities alongside our standard activities.
11:00 - Fun Run
12:00 - Parade
12:30 - Gala Day Opens
Summer Events - @ Westerton Library
More details at: http://westertonvillage.org.uk/library
- Tue 13th August 2019 - Children's Author Visit @ Westerton Library (3 sessions, 10:30-12:00)
Join local children's author Katie Lorna McMillan, for a reading of her Haggis MacDougall series for children aged 3 - 7. Each reading will be followed by a craft activity.
- Ticketed event - EDLC's booking page here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/childrens-author-visit-westerton-library-tickets-65784710841
- Fri 16th August 2019 - 13:30 – 14:30 Relaxing Reads @ Westerton Library - You don’t even have to pick up a book but can just listen to a selection of short readings to raise your mood and relax you, just sit back and listen to an inspiring selection of poetry and stories. tickets : https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/relaxing-reads-westerton-library-tickets-62197182447
- Tue 9th July 3 - 4pm and Thu 8th August 11- 12noon - FREE - SUMMER LEGO CLUB @ WESTERTON LIBRARY - Plenty of Lego and duplo to build with - just turn up.
- Thu 4th July 2019 - 2-2:45pm - Cosmic Craft @ Westerton Library - details here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/cosmic-craft-westerton-library-tickets-63639308886
Bookbug Sessions at Westerton Library!
- 3rd May until 27th September 2019 - Bookbug Toddler (0-36m) - Weekly on a Friday 10:15 - 10:45am
These sessions are run by EDLC - see the events page for booking details.
Exhibitions @ Westerton Library
- Summer 2019: "The Lovers" - An Exhibition by international photographer Lauren Fleishman. In "The Lovers', American photographer Lauren Fleishman combines her colour images with interviews, where couples together for over five decades talk about their love and relationships.
#UpstreamBattle Community Litter Pick - Sat 24th August 2019 - 10:30am
Organised by the Cairnhill Woods Group. More details on facebook.
Following on from successful event on 11th May - we aim to keep up the great work! Meet at the bridge over the canal 10:30am - please come and help us at our first event as part of Keep Scotland Beautiful #UpstreamBattle to tackle #Source2Sea litter. We will be doing a litterpick and a survey of types of litter will be carried out beforehand . All welcome - it would be helpful if you could indicate if you can come along!
Over 60's Club - Westerton Hall - Thursdays 2pm-4pm
Are you Game?
An over 60’s Club meets in Westerton Hall on a Thursday from 2pm till 4pm, to enjoy cards and board games, including Scrabble, as well as chat and, of course a cuppa! All for a £1.50 donation. It was started over 20 years ago by the late Connie McCorquindale, to encourage older people to get out and meet others. More information available from Ellen Gray, or simply pop in and see for yourself. You’ll be made most welcome
Westerton Foodbank Collection Point
From Niall's recent post on the Westerton Facebook page:
I'm disgusted we live in a society where we even have to do this but last year over 9000 people needed the use of a foodbank in NW Glasgow alone. This is nearly 4x the population of Westerton! With the roll-out of Universal Credit in Glasgow by December 2018 resources have been stretched even more, especially in the run up to Christmas. I have been delighted to see the work of the nursery, Boclair Academy and others in this regard and feel we as a Community could do our bit to help. Currently, there is no collection point in Westerton. Research has shown that the more local the donation point the more likely people are to donate. I had asked the council if I can place a collection point in the hall but apparently, it was a fire hazard... 🙈
Therefore I've put one at the end of our drive at 31 Stirling Avenue (G61 1PD) as a temporary measure until we get something more permanent. This will support our local Glasgow NW foodbank, part of The Trussell Trust network (https://glasgownw.foodbank.org.uk).
Would be great if we could have a few more donation points (especially up the hill) if anyone wants to volunteer their green bin or welcome to any other ideas!
I have attached a list of things that are most in need. In order for food to be delivered in time for Christmas donations need to be in for the 15th.
We will also be accepting cash donations if you prefer securely online at: www.justgiving.com/bearsdenwestfoodbank
Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions!
Let's show once again how great we are as a Community"
Update: 11th December 2018:
"... Just had the pleasure of dropping off A QUARTER OF A TONNE of food at Glasgow NW Foodbank this afternoon. A massive thank you to all who have donated, A special thanks has to go to the fine people of Westerton Church who helped with a massive drive on Sunday!
Our work is not done and I plan on making another few drop-offs before Christmas so will gladly accept any more donations at our two donation points (http://bit.ly/westertonfoodbank). I was shocked to see how busy the food bank was with queues going all the way out of the door, especially with young families. We really need as much help as we can get!
The things they're most in need of are:
• Tin of cold meat • Shortbread • Tin opener • Shloer • UHT Milk • Sugar • Shampoo • Hot Chocolate • Diluting Juice • Tinned Fruit • Deodorant • Tinned Fish • Rice Pudding
• Shower Gel • Tea Bags • Custard • Razors • Tinned Vegetables • Biscuits • Baby Wipes • Pasta Sauce • Tinned Tomatoes • Cleaning Products • PJs • Christmas Gifts/Decorations
Westerton Library Supporters Campaign
There is an opportunity to give support and suggestions for the Westerton Library Supporters campaign at many local events. More Details in Westerton Library.