Interested in joining the patrol?
Above is the link to the Willamette Backcountry Patrol application as a volunteer. Fill out the form and either mail the application and $10 to: WBSP, PO Box 1578, Eugene, OR 97440
Some of our volunteers have choosen to become members of the National Ski Patrol. See below for additional information on NSP.
What to Expect
You spend a minimum of five weekend days assisting National Ski Patrollers at the Gold Lake Patrol Cabin and participate in a minimum of three other Patrol community service projects including the annual Ski Swap. In addition, attendance at meetings and other essential events is strongly encouraged. Basic level volunteers are encourage to attend any and all Patrol functions.
Provide a valuable community service, improve your ski skills, build your confidence, and have fun doing it!
National Ski Patrol Membership (NSP) *optional
Some of our volunteers have choosen to become members of the National Ski Patrol (Snowshoers are able to join the NSP through Willamette Backcountry Patrol).
National Ski Patrol Certification requires rigorous training in:
- Outdoor Emergency Care (rescue first aid in a non-urban setting);
- Avalanche recognition, safety, & rescue;
- Mountain Travel and Rescue (winter wilderness survival; search & rescue procedures; injured skier evacuation; and navigational techniques.
- CPR Training
It usually takes two snow seasons to complete the trainings.
Connect with our Personnel Director at firstname.lastname@example.org or talk to a member of the board if you are interested in becoming a NSP patroller.
Interested in becoming a volunteer? Join us at one of our monthly patrol meetings. Each month we will cover important patrol/facilities information as well as trainings useful for all members.
We meet the 3rd Wednesday of each month* from October through April. We meet from 7:00-8:30p at Lane Community College, Building 4, Room 106 (unless otherwise noted).
- October 17 - Fall Social at Roaring Rapids, Eugene - 7p
- November 14* - Lane Community College - 7p
- December 19 - Lane Community College - 7p
- January 16 - Winter Social - TBA
- February 20 - Lane Community College - 7p
- March 20 - Lane Community College - 7p
- April 17 - Season Celebration - TBA
We are Forest Service volunteers patrolling out of the Gold Lake Snow Park about 30 miles past Oakridge a half mile before the Willamette Pass Ski resort. If you are a cross country skier or on snowshoes be sure to stop in the cabin and ask about joining us. We provide training and a lot of fun. We also welcome volunteers from the Bend/Sunriver/La Pine area.
*Patrol meetings are the 3rd Wednesday of each month, unless otherwise noted.