- Associate Professor, Department of Economics, Dalhousie University, July 2015-Present
OTHER CURRENT ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS
- Faculty Research Fellow, National Bureau of Economic Research (NBER), Health Economics, May 2015-Present
- Academic Director, Atlantic Research Data Centre, Dalhousie University, September 2016-Present
- Fellow, Global Labor Organization (GLO), April 2018-Present
- Editorial Advisor, Canadian Journal of Economics, July 2018-Present
PAST ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS
- Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Dalhousie University, August 2012-July 2015
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Economics, Queen's University, January 2006-July 2012
OTHER PAST EMPLOYMENT
- Statistics Canada, Research Analyst, Queen's Research Data Centre
"Do 'All-Age' Bicycle Helmet Laws Work? Evidence from Canada," with Christopher Carpenter, NBER working paper w24644, Economic Inquiry, forthcoming.
"Literacy, Numeracy, Technology Skill and Labour Market Outcomes among Indigenous Peoples in Canada," with Min Hu and Angela Daley, Canadian Public Policy, forthcoming.
"From Engineer to Taxi Driver? Occupational Skills and the Economic Outcomes of Immigrants," with Susumu Imai and Derek Stacey, Canadian Journal of Economics, forthcoming.
"Immigrant Category of Admission of the Parents and Outcomes of the Children: How far does the Apple Fall?," (2019) with Matthew Webb and Christopher Worswick, Journal of Population Economics, 32(1), 53-112.
"The Mechanisms of Alcohol Control: Evidence from Canada," (2016), with Christopher Carpenter and Carlos Dobkin, Journal of Human Resources, 51(2), 328-356.
"How Targeted is Targeted Tax Relief? Evidence from the Unemployment Insurance Youth Hires Program," (2016), with Matthew Webb (first author) and Arthur Sweetman, Canadian Public Policy, 42(4), 415-430.
"Immigrant Selection Systems and Occupational Outcomes of International Medical Graduates in Canada and the United States," (2015), with James Ted McDonald and Christopher Worswick, Canadian Public Policy, 41(s1), 116-137.
"Technological Change and Declining Immigrant Outcomes, Implications for Income Inequality in Canada," (2015), with Christopher Worswick, Canadian Journal of Economics, 48(2), 736-772.
"The Portability of New Immigrants' Human Capital: Language, Education and Occupational Matching," (2015) (first author) with Arthur Sweetman and Gustave Goldmann, Canadian Public Policy, 41(s1), 64-79.
"Former Temporary Foreign Workers and International Students as Sources of Permanent Immigration," (2014), with Arthur Sweetman, Canadian Public Policy, 40(4), 392-407.
"Quality of Life, Firm Productivity, and the Value of Amenities across Canadian Cities," (2013), with David Albouy and Fernando Leibovici, Canadian Journal of Economics, 46(2), 379-411.
"Canada's Immigration Selection System and Labour Market Outcomes," (2013), with Arthur Sweetman, Canadian Public Policy, 39(s1), 141-160.
"Public-Place Smoking Laws and Exposure to Environmental Tobacco Smoke (ETS) in Public Places," (2011), with Christopher Carpenter and Sabina Postolek, American Economic Journal: Economic Policy, 3(3), 35-61.
"Mandatory Retirement Rules and the Retirement Decisions of University Professors in Canada," (2010), with Christopher Worswick, Labour Economics, 17(6), 1022-1029.
"The Evolution of Male-Female Earnings Differentials in Canadian Universities: 1970-2001," (2010), with Frances Woolley and Christopher Worswick, Canadian Journal of Economics, 43(1), 347-372.
"Ethnic enclaves and immigrant earnings growth," (2007), Canadian Journal of Economics, 40(2), 401-422.
SOME CURRENT WORK IN PROGRESS
"Local Labor Markets in Canada and the United States," with David Yves Albouy, Alex Chernoff and Chandler Lutz, Revise and Resubmit Journal of Labor Economics
REFEREED BOOK CHAPTERS
"Technological Change and Declining Immigrants' Earnings Outcomes," (2016) in Income InEquality: The Canadian Story, ed. David A. Green, W. Craig Riddell, France St-Hilaire (Montreal: The Institute for Research on Public Policy), pg. 287-297. (with Christopher Worswick)
"Earnings, Occupation and Schooling Decisions of Immigrants with Medical Degrees: Evidence for Canada and the US," in High-Skilled Immigration in a Global Labor Market, ed. Barry R. Chiswick (Washington: American Enterprise Institute), (with James Ted McDonald and Christopher Worswick)
"How Far Does the Points System Stretch? The Spouses of Skilled Worker Principal Applicants," (2010) in Canadian Immigration: Economic Evidence for a Dynamic Policy Environment, eds. Ted McDonald, Elizabeth Ruddick, Arthur Sweetman, and Christopher Worswick (Montreal and Kingston: McGill Queen's University Press, Queen's Policy Studies Series), pg 183-208. (with Arthur Sweetman)
"The Returns of Foreign Credentials of Temporary Foreign Workers and Recently Landed Immigrants in Canada," (2010) in Canadian Immigration: Economic Evidence for a Dynamic Policy Environment, eds. Ted McDonald, Elizabeth Ruddick, Arthur Sweetman, and Christopher Worswick (Montreal and Kingston: McGill Queen's University Press, Queen's Policy Studies Series), pg 209-233.
"Mandatory Retirement Rules and the Earnings of University Professors in Canada," (2009) in Retirement Policy Issues in Canada eds. Michael G. Abbott, Charles M. Beach, Robin W. Boadway and James G. MacKinnon (John Deutsch Institute for the Study of Economic Policy, Queen's University), pg 451-470. (with Christopher Worswick)
"Integration, Impact and Responsibility: An Economic Perspective on Canadian Immigration Policy," (2008) in Immigration, Integration and Citizenship in 21st Century Canada eds. J. Biles, M. Burstein, and J. Frideres (McGill-Queen's University Press), Chapter 1. pg 19-44. (with Arthur Sweetman)
RECENT COURSES TAUGHT
Graduate Courses, Dalhousie University:
- Research Methods, Microeconometrics 5525 (Winter 2013, Winter 2014, Winter 2015, Winter 2016, Winter 2017)
Undergraduate Courses, Dalhousie University:
- Health Economics 2231 (Winter 2017)
- Intermediate Macro 2201 (Fall 2015, Fall 2016, Fall 2017)
- Canadian Policy Debates 2218 (Winter 2013, Winter 2014)
- Public Finance 3344 (Fall 2012, Fall 2013)
Graduate Courses, Queen's University:
- Research Problems and Methodology using Cross-sectional and Longitudinal Data (Winter 2007, Winter 2008, Winter 2009, 2 Sessions Winter 2010, Winter 2011)
- Economics of Social Policy (co-taught with Arthur Sweetman) (Winter 2006, Spring 2007)
Undergraduate Courses, Queen's University:
- Intermediate Macroeconomics (Winter 2006, Fall 2006, Fall 2009)
GRADUATE STUDENT SUPERVISION
- Min Hu (current)
- Ekaterina Bezrukova (current)
- Yasmine Amirkhalkhali (current)
- George Marshal2 (current)
- Modupe Adeboye2 (2016)
- Chenlu Shao2 (2015)
- Lianwei Shan2 (2015)
- Lingyun Wu2 (2015)
- Jian Han3 (2015)
- Min Hu1 (2014)
- Mengdi Luo1 (2014)
- Nushafrin Islam Bushra2 (2014)
- Yanmin Yu2 (2014)
- Sicong Ma3 (2014)
- Cong Lin2 (2012)
- John Walsh3 (2012)
- Lily Lin1 (2011)
- Maria Gubaydullina1 (2011)
- Ryan MacLeod1 (2011)
- Andrea Craig1 (2011)
- Stephenson Strobel3 (2011)
- Ian Kelly1 (2010)
- Erik Johnson1 (2010)
- Ravi Amarnath1 (2010)
- Liam Mulligan3 (2010)
- Alexander Coutts1 (2009) - co-supervised with Susumu Imai
- Laura Swan1 (2009)
- Jimmy Li1 (2009)
- Sabina Postolek1 (2009)
- Michael Kottelenberg3 (2009)
- Andrew Dyck1 (2008)
- Laure Savadogo1 (2008)
- Jun Yuan Tan1 (2008)
- Paul Lebane3 (2008)
- Dave Mann3 (2008)
- Derek Stacey1 (2007)
- Josh Lewis1 (2007)
- Amelie Lafrance1 (2007)
- Jakub Uziak1 (2006)
- Justin Smith1 (2006)
- Master's Students Thesis\Research Essay Supervision- Workload of Research Essay at Queen's University equivalent to a Thesis
- Master's Students Essay First Reader\Thesis Second Reader
- Master's Students Essay Second Reader\Thesis Third Reader
Honours Students Supervision
- Mengying Zhu (2014)
- Lianwei Shan (2014)
- Shivani Sood (2013)
- Tu Takagi (2013)
Ph.D. Defence Board
- Jue Zhang (2017) University of Waterloo - External examiner
- Forough Sei (2017) University of Ottawa - External examiner
- Benjamin Cerf Harris (2013) Simon Fraser University - External examiner
- Kazuko Miyamoto (2011) departmental examiner Queen's University - currently Assistant Professor at Setsunan University
- Adnan Qadir Khan (2009) departmental examiner Queen's University - currently IGC Research Network Director, London School of Economics
- Natalia Mishagina (2009) departmental examiner Queen's University - currently Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Economics, McGill University / CIRANO
- Ozden Sungur (2006) departmental examiner Queen's University - currently Assistant Professor at Huron College, University of Western Ontario
Year of Completion in Brackets