Uniform and Gear
Need a uniform or other gear? Check out our partner, Capelli Sports! To order high quality uniforms, shorts, socks. Use the link above or on our homepage to access the Utah soccer referee store with our special discounts!
Please Read Before Registering
DO NOT REGISTER ON US SOCCER's LEARNING CENTER until you have read all of these instructions and tips!
If you do not follow these directions carefully, you will be forced to redo ALL of the online learning!!!
If you are 18 years of age or older, you will be prompted to complete a background check before you can be certified as a referee. You can still complete the assignments before the background checks clears.
Only the person who is taking the course may sign up! Parents and guardians MUST use their child's email and user information. Parents and guardians will add their email to a child's account as the SECONDARY email address. US Soccer will send an email to verify your email accounts.
After registering for a course, you MUST click on the Assignments tab to complete all the assignments.
No refunds will be given if you do not show up to a course or do not finish the course work by June 15, 2023.
Directions For Registration
New Certification Instructions for Grassroots Referees
Those interested in becoming a referee for the first time must complete following requirements PRIOR to attending an Entry Level clinic.
1. On our Google Calendar, click the Entry Level Grassroots course you would like to attend in person. At the bottom, click "More Details." Then, scroll down on the new window and click the link at the bottom to register for the in-person course.
2. Using the link in the Google Calendar (DO NOT GO DIRECTLY to the Learning Center.) Create a US Soccer profile on their online Learning Center. Use the referee's email address, do NOT use a parent/guardian's email address. This is how we will communicate with our referees and for other reasons. If parents use their own email address it will make things more difficult with the registration process.
3. Complete a 5 hour e-learning Grassroots Level experience on US Soccer's online Learning Center. The exact link will be posted on our Google Calendar in the details portion for each clinic. This course is about four hours AND musts be completed before attending the in-person portion of the clinic. There are several parts to this online course. Once you log in, click on the "Assignments" tab. There you will see the Online Grassroots Referee Course, SafeSport Training, Introduction to Safe and healthy Playing Environments, and Grassroots Referee Certification Quiz. Questions from the test are taken directly from those modules.
4. Click on the "Course Details" tab and complete the UYSA (Utah Youth Soccer Association) presentation (34 minutes) and test (30 questions).
If you are having issues with the UYSA video, please try the following:
1. Turn off your pop-up blockers
2. Use Google Chrome browser
This is what the UYSA presentation will look like:
This is what the UYSA test will look like:
5. If you need help with the test, please visit TheIFAB.com or revisit the presentations.
6. For the in-person portion of the certification, please dress for "field session" type activities. Meaning, we will be on a field and practicing referee signals and mechanics. Please bring your yellow and red cards, flags, if you have them, as well as a water bottle.
7. Attend the entire 2 hours of an Entry Level GRASSROOTS CLINIC and participate in the field session activities to receive your referee badge.
Please contact SDO, Holly Gundred, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or assistance with registration.
8. AFTER you have completed the clinic, here are the steps to register with Arbiterpay (how you get paid) and then Affinity (how you get assigned matches). Scroll down to step #4 to get started.
Certification With US Soccer
Become a Soccer Referee in Utah!
All USSF affiliates, including the Utah Youth Soccer Association and the Utah Soccer Association, require that all participating referees be certified by the United States Soccer Federation (USSF). The Utah State Soccer Referee Committee (USSRC) is the governing body for Utah's USSF referees. It is the goal of this committee to actively recruit, develop, certify and advance referees for all levels of play.
The Utah Soccer Referee program offers one Entry Level clinic, the USSF Grassroots certification, which is sponsored by affiliate organizations in various locations throughout the state. In order to become certified participants must attend the entry level course in person and do the online learning through US Soccer's Learning Center.
USSF Grassroots Referee
This course is for all entry level referees despite their age. The US Soccer online Learning Center, in compliance with national law, requires users be at least 13 years old. Those who are not at least 13 years old must wait for their 13th birthday.
The USSF Grassroots Referee may officiate games as either a Referee or Assistant Referee from recreational youth matches to adult amateur matches. Once registered, all information of newly registered referees will be given to the referee assignors to ensure that all referees have the opportunity to participate in as many games as possible. Certified assignors assign appropriate game assignments according to the age, division and skill level of the teams with the ages and experience of the referee to ensure a good experience for both teams and the referees themselves.