A meteorologist by training, Simon's research involves climate diagnostics with emphases on variability, extremes, and predictability. He is also Associate Director of the Utah Climate Center leading the research and development component.
Most Recent Publications
Most Recent Publications
- Wang, S.-Y., H. Kim, D. Coumou, J.-H. Yoon, L. Zhao, and R. R. Gillies, 2019: Consecutive extreme flooding and heat wave in Japan: Are they becoming a norm? Atmospheric Science Letters, DOI:10.1002/asl.933 (PDF).
- Stuivenvolt Allen, J. J. and S.-Y. Wang, 2019: Data-mining climate variability as an indicator of U.S. natural gas, Frontiers in Big Data (special issue on Data-driven Climate Sciences), doi: 10.3389/fdata.2019.00020 (PDF)
- Wu, Y.-C., S.-Y. Wang, Y.-C. Yu, C.-Y. Kung, A.-H. Wang , S. A. Los., W.-R. Huang, 2019: Climatology and Change of Extreme Precipitation Events in Taiwan Based on Weather Types. International Journal of Climatology, DOI:10.1002/joc.6159 (PDF).
- Xu, C., B. M. Buckley, P. Promchote, S.-Y. Wang, and coauthors, 2019: Increased variability of Thailand’s Chao Phraya River peak-season flow and its association with ENSO variability: Evidence from tree ring δ18O. Geophysical Research Letters, DOI:10.1029/2018GL081458 (PDF)
- O'Brien. J. P., T. A. O'Brien, C. M. Patricola, S.-Y. Wang, 2019: Metrics for Understanding Large-scale Controls of Multivariate Temperature and Precipitation Variability. Climate Dynamics, DOI:10.1007/s00382-019-04749-6 (PDF)
- Voelker, S. L., S.-Y. Wang, T. E. Dawson, J. S. Roden, C. J. Still , F. J. Longstaffe, and A. Ayalon, 2019: Tree-ring isotopes adjacent to Lake Superior reveal cold winter anomalies for the Great Lakes region of North America. Scientific Reports, 9, #4412 (PDF)
- Mukherjee, A., S.-Y. Wang, and P. Promchote, 2019: Examination of the Climate Factors that Reduced Wheat Yield in Northwest India during the 2000s. Water, DOI:10.3390/w11020343 (PDF)
- Tseng, W.-L., S.-Y. Wang, H.-H. Hsu, and J. D.D. Meyer, 2019: Intensification of the decadal activity in Equatorial Rossby Waves and linkage to changing tropical circulation. Terrestrial, Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences, DOI:10.3319/TAO.2019.01.18.02 (PDF)
- Xu, C., W. An, S.-Y. Wang, Liang Yi et al., 2019: Increased drought events in Southwest China revealed by tree ring oxygen isotopes and potential role of Indian Ocean Dipole. Science of the Total Environment, 661, 645-653, DOI:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.01.186 (graphic abstract)
- Pokharel, B., S.-Y. Wang, J. D. D. Meyer, R. Gillies, and Y.-H. Lin, 2018: Climate of weakly-forced yet high-impact convective storms throughout the Ohio River Valley and Mid-Atlantic United States. Climate Dynamics, DOI: 10.1007/s00382-018-4472-0 (PDF)
- Coumou, D., G. Di Capua, S. Vavrus, L. Wang, and S.-Y. Wang (alphabetic), 2018: The influence of Arctic Amplification on mid-latitude summer circulation. Nature Communications, DOI: 10.1038/s41467-018-05256-8 (PDF)
- Wu, C.-H., W.-R. Huang, and S.-Y. Wang, 2018: Role of Indochina Peninsula Topography in Precipitation Seasonality over East Asia, Atmosphere (Special Issue on Monsoons), 9, 255; DOI: 10.3390/atmos9070255.
- Wang, S.-Y., L. Zhao, J.-H. Yoon, P. Klotzbach, and R. R. Gillies, 2018: Attribution of climate effects on Hurricane Harvey’s extreme rainfall in Texas. Environmental Research Letters, DOI:10.1088/1748-9326/aabb85 (PDF).
- Sun, Y., S.-Y. Wang, R. Li, B. Buckley, R. Gillies, and K. Hansen, 2018: Feasibility of Predicting Vietnam’s Autumn Rainfall Regime Based on Tree Ring Record and Decadal Variability. Climate (Special issue on Decadal Variability and Predictability of Climate), DOI:10.3390/cli6020042. (PDF)
- Lin, Y.-H., and S.-Y. Wang, 2018: Multidecadal variability in the subseasonal peak of low-level convergence over the Pacific warm pool. Atmosphere (Special Issue on Monsoons), doi:10.3390/atmos9050158 (PDF).
- Yoon, J.-H., S.-Y. Wang, M.-H. Lo, and W.-Y. Wu, 2018: Concurrent increases in wet and dry extremes projected in Texas and combined effects on groundwater. Environmental Research Letters, DOI: 10.1088/1748-9326/aab96b (PDF).
- Fosu, B., S.-Y. Wang, K. Pegion, 2018: Synoptic and Climate Attributions of the December 2015 Extreme Flooding in Missouri, USA. Water, 10(4), 350; doi: 10.3390/w10040350 (PDF).
- Wang, S.-Y., R. R. Gillies, O.-Y. Chung, and C. Shen, 2018: Cross-Basin Decadal Climate Regime connecting the Colorado River and the Great Salt Lake. Journal of Hydrometeorology, DOI:10.1175/JHM-D-17-0081.1 (PDF).
- Li, R., S.-Y. Wang, R. R. Gillies, B. Buckley, J.-H. Yoon, and C. Cho, 2018: Regional trends in early-monsoon rainfall over Vietnam and CCSM4 attribution. Climate Dynamics, doi: 10.1007/s00382-018-4198-z (PDF).
- Wu, C.-H., S.-Y. Wang, and H.-H. Hsu, 2018: Large-Scale Control of the Arabian Sea Monsoon Inversion in August. Climate Dynamics, DOI: 10.1007/s00382-017-4029-7 (PDF).