Building for the Future
Education Work Group
What is Building for the Future (BFF) at UCM?
Building for the Future is the name of our proposed project that is intended to help UCM meet its mission. It encompasses all proposed renovations, including kitchen improvements, increased accessibility, staffing additions, and Net Zero plan to make our church 100% sustainable. To learn more, watch this BFF Introductory Video Here! You can also take a look at this BFF COMPREHENSIVE PLAN or read our Frequently Asked Questions!
Read on for more details and join us at an upcoming cottage meeting to learn more about the project!
Learn More about BFF
The Education Work Group will work to educate the congregation in advance of the October 27th meeting to vote on hiring a financial feasibility consultant, to gauge our fundraising capacity for the Comprehensive Plan. Here are key events and opportunities to learn more leading up to that vote.
Questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
During November, the Steering Committee is conducting a Preference Survey of all church members and friends. Please take the survey!"
Following the work of the financial feasibility consultant in November-December, more educational events will be scheduled. Watch this space and the church e-news for details.
Education Work Group Charge
The Education Work Group will educate the congregation about the facility and staff needs currently experienced at UCM including the facility changes recommended by the Growth and Facilities Task Force and the staff solutions proposed by the Executive Team (ET).
To do this, the Education Work Group will plan and deliver presentations to the whole congregation and to groups within the congregation (such as the Alliance, Committee of Chairs, Choir,etc.). It may produce and use print materials, videos, and other means of communication as needed. It should coordinate the presentations with – and may ask for participation from - the Building for the Future Steering Committee, Board, and Minister. The success of the overall BFF project/campaign will be evident from congregation’s votes and fund-raising.
The Education Work Group will adhere to the Roles and Responsibilities already identified by the Board and the Steering Committee and will work in accordance with the long-range plan for BOF developed by the Steering Committee and approved by the Board.
- Mary Alice Bisbee
- Pam Cameron
- Claudia Clark
- Judith Hinds (Co-Chair)
- Brian Prendergast (Co-Chair)
- Jo Romano
- Tom Schersten
Past Cottage & Committee Meetings (with Links to Q&A)
- August 10, 2019
- August 21, 2019
- September 14, 2019
- September 15, 2019
- September 18, 2019
- September 19, 2019
- September 25, 2019
- September 27, 2019
Past Work Group Meetings (with Links to Minutes)
- March 12, 2019
- March 25, 2019
- April 8, 2019
- April 22, 2019
- May 13, 2019
- May 27, 2019
- June 10, 2019
- June 24, 2019
- July 8, 2019
- August 12, 2019
- September 9, 2019
- September 23, 2019
- October 7, 2019
- October 21, 2019
Upcoming Work Group Meetings
- November 25, 2019
- December 9, 2019 (please note change in time to 5:30-7:00.
- Sunday, October 6, 12:15pm: The Finance Committee hosted a BFF presentation at their meeting after the second service in the Bell Town Room.
- Tuesday, October 8, 6:30pm: The Committee of Chairs hosted a BFF presentation at their meeting in the Vestry.
- Wednesday, October 9, 12:00-1:30pm - Chat with the Minister: Meeting with Joan over burritos to learn more about BFF and why Joan is excited for this growth in our church. Session was meant to be a follow up to the cottage meetings, congregational forum, and other educational opportunities provided by the BFF Education Work Group. If you haven't had a chance to attend one of those meetings, please read through the BFF website beforehand or stop by the BFF table in the Vestry on a Sunday morning.
- Friday, October 18, 6:00pm: Second congregational forum and Building Tour featuring an overview of the BFF Comprehensive Plan proposal. The forum was held in the Vestry. Games for kids was hosted in the Children's Chapel to encourage families to participate. Pizza was served for families at 5:30 and the forum began at 6:00.
- Tuesday, October 22, 8:30-10:00am - Chat with the Minister: Joan presided over bagels to help congregants learn more about BFF and why she is excited for this growth in our church. This session was meant to be a follow up to the cottage meetings, congregational forum, and other educational opportunities provided by the BFF Education Work Group. If you haven't had a chance to attend one of those meetings, please read through the BFF website or stop by the BFF table in the Vestry on a Sunday morning.
- Sunday, October 27, 2019 - Congregational Vote to hire a Feasibility Consultant: The congregational voted to approve $15,000 to be used to hire a financial feasibility consultant after the 10 am service.