ISI journal publications
52. Goncalves JE, Montazeri H, van Hooff T, Saelens D, 2021. Performance of building integrated photovoltaic facades: Impact of exterior convective heat transfer. Applied Energy 287, 116538. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2021.116538.
51. Wang Z, Suiker A, Hofmeyer H, van Hooff T, Blocken B, 2021. Sequentially coupled shape and topology optimization for 2.5D and 3D beam models. Acta Mechanica. Accepted.
50. Alanis Ruiz C, van Hooff T, Blocken B, van Heijst GJF, 2021. Air curtain performance: introducing the adapted separation efficiency. Building and Environment 188, 107468. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2020.107468
49. Gonçalves JE, van Hooff T, Saelens D, 2021. Simulating building integrated photovoltaic facades: Comparison to experimental data and evaluation of modelling complexity. Applied Energy 281, 116032. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2020.116032
48. Wang Z, Suiker A, Hofmeyer H, van Hooff T, Blocken B, 2020. Optimization of thin-walled beam structures: Monolithic versus staggered solution schemes. Thin-Walled structures 159, 107182. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tws.2020.107182
47. Liu W, van Hooff T, An Y, Hu S, Chun C, Modeling transient particle transport in transient indoor air flow by fast fluid dynamics with the Markov chain method. Building and Environment 186, 107323. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2020.107323
46. Gonçalves JE, van Hooff T, Saelens D, 2020. Understanding the behaviour of naturally ventilated BIPV modules: A sensitivity analysis. Renewable Energy 161, 133-148. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.renene.2020.06.086
45. Blocken B, van Druenen T, van Hooff T, Verstappen PA, Marchal T, Marr LC, 2020. Can indoor sports centers be allowed to re-open during the COVID-19 pandemic based on a certificate of equivalence? Building and Environment 180. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2020.107022
44. Gonçalves JE, van Hooff T, Saelens D, 2020. A physics-based high-resolution BIPV model for building performance simulations. Solar Energy 204, 585-599. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2020.04.057
43. Khayrullina A, van Hooff T, Alanis Ruiz C, Blocken B, van Heijst GJF, 2020. Minimum momentum flux ratio required to prevent air curtain breakthrough in case of cross-curtain pressure gradients: CFD versus analytical equation. Building Simulation. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12273-020-0633-2.
42. Wang Z, Suiker A, Hofmeyer H, van Hooff T, Blocken B, 2020. Coupled aerostructural shape and topology optimization of horizontal-axis wind turbine rotor blades. Energy Conversion and Management 212. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2020.112621.
41. van Hooff T, Blocken B, 2020. Mixing ventilation driven by two oppositely located supply jets with a time-periodic supply velocity: a numerical analysis using CFD. Indoor and Built Environment 29(4), 603-620. https://doi.org/10.1177/1420326X19884667
40. van Druenen T, van Hooff T, Montazeri H, Blocken B, 2019. CFD evaluation of building geometry modifications to reduce pedestrian-level wind speed. Building and Environment 163. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2019.106293.
39. Vervoort R, van Hooff T, Blocken B, 2019. Reduction of particulate matter concentrations by local removal in a building courtyard: case study for the Delhi American Embassy School. Science of the Total Environment 686, 657-680. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2019.05.154.
38. Kosutova K, van Hooff T, Vanderwel C, Blocken B, Hensen JLM, 2019. Cross-ventilation in a generic isolated building equipped with louvers: wind-tunnel experiments and CFD simulations. Building and Environment 154; 263-280. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2019.03.019.
37. Castillo JA, Huelsz G, van Hooff T, Blocken B, 2018. Natural ventilation of an isolated generic building with a windward window and different wind exchangers: CFD validation, sensitivity study and performance analysis. Building Simulation 12, 475-488. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12273-018-0502-4.
36. Khayrullina A, van Hooff T, Blocken B, van Heijst GJF. 2018. Validation of steady RANS modelling of isothermal plane turbulent impinging jets at moderate Reynolds numbers. European Journal of Mechanics / B Fluids. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.euromechflu.2018.10.003.
35. Hornikx M, Dohmen M, Conen K, van Hooff T, Blocken B, 2018. The wind effect on sound propagation over urban areas: predictions for generic urban sections. Building and Environment 144; 519-531. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2018.08.041.
34. Vasaturo R, van Hooff T, Kalkman I, Blocken B, van Wesemael P, 2018. Impact of passive climate adaptation measures and building orientation on the energy demand of a detached lightweight semi-portable building. Building Simulation 11(6), 1163–1177. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12273-018-0470-8.
33. van Hooff T, Nielsen PV, Li Y, 2018. CFD predictions of non-isothermal ventilation flow - how can the user factor be minimized? Indoor Air 28; 866-880. https://doi.org/10.1111/ina.12492.
32. Kang L, Zhou X, van Hooff T, Blocken B, Gu M. 2018. CFD simulation of snow transport over flat, uniformly rough, open terrain: Impact of physical and computational parameters. Journal of Wind Engineering & Industrial Aerodynamics, 177: 213-226. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jweia.2018.04.014.
31. Kosutova K, van Hooff T, Blocken B. 2018. CFD simulation of non-isothermal mixing ventilation in a generic enclosure: impact of computational and physical parameters. International Journal of Thermal Sciences 129: 343-357. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2018.03.001
30. Khayrullina A, van Hooff T, Blocken B, van Heijst GJF. 2017. PIV measurements of isothermal plane turbulent impinging jets at moderate Reynolds numbers. Experiments in Fluids 58(4), Article 31. OPEN ACCESS. doi:10.1007/s00348-017-2315-0
29. van Hooff T, Blocken B, 2017. Low-Reynolds number mixing ventilation flows: impact of physical and numerical diffusion on flow and dispersion. Building Simulation 10(4): 589-606. OPEN ACCESS. doi:10.1007/s12273-017-0354-3.
28. van Hooff T, Blocken B, Tominaga Y. 2017. On the accuracy of CFD simulations of cross-ventilation flows for a generic isolated building: comparison of RANS, LES and experiments. Building and Environment 114: 148-165. OPEN ACCESS. doi:10.1016/j.buildenv.2016.12.019
27. Blocken B, Vervoort R, van Hooff T. 2016. Reduction of outdoor particulate matter concentrations by local removal in semi-enclosed parking garages: a preliminary case study for Eindhoven city center. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 159: 80-98. OPEN ACCESS. doi:10.1016/j.jweia.2016.10.008
26. van Hooff T, Blocken B, Timmermans HJP, Hensen JLM, 2016. Analysis of the predicted effect of passive climate adaptation measures on energy demand for cooling and heating in a residential building. Energy 94, 811-820. (Preprint ) doi:10.1016/j.energy.2015.11.036
25. Peren JI, van Hooff T, Leite BCC, Blocken B, 2016. CFD simulation of wind-driven upward cross ventilation and its enhancement in long buildings: Impact of single-span versus double-span leeward sawtooth roof and opening ratio. Building and Environment 96, 142-156. (Preprint ) http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2015.11.021
24. Peren JI, van Hooff T, Ramponi R, Blocken B, Leite BCC, 2015. Impact of roof geometry of an isolated leeward sawtooth roof building on cross-ventilation: Straight, concave, hybrid or convex? Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 145, 102-114. (Preprint) doi:10.1016/j.jweia.2015.05.014
23. Peren JI, van Hooff T, Leite BCC, Blocken B, 2015. Impact of eaves on cross-ventilation of a generic leeward sawtooth roof building: windward eaves, leeward eaves and eaves inclination. Building and Environment 92, 578-590. (Preprint ) doi:10.1016/j.buildenv.2015.05.011
22. Peren JI, van Hooff T, Leite BCC, Blocken B, 2015. CFD analysis of cross-ventilation of a generic isolated building with asymmetric opening positions: impact of roof angle and opening location. Building and Environment 85, 263-276. (Preprint ) doi:10.1016/j.buildenv.2014.12.007
21. [EDITORIAL]: Albers RAW, Bosch PR, Blocken B, van den Dobbelsteen AAJF, van Hove LWA, Spit TJM, van de Ven F, van Hooff T, Rovers V, 2015. Overview of challenges and achievements in the Climate Adaptation of Cities and in the Climate Proof Cities program. Building and Environment 83, 1-10. doi:10.1016/j.buildenv.2014.09.006
20. van Hooff T, Blocken B, Hensen JLM, Timmermans HJP, 2015. Reprint of: On the predicted effectiveness of climate adaptation measures for residential buildings. Building and Environment 83, 142-158. (Preprint )doi:/10.1016/j.buildenv.2014.10.006
19. Toparlar Y, Blocken B, Vos P, van Heijst GJF, Janssen WD, van Hooff T, Montazeri H, Timmermans HJP, 2015. CFD simulation and validation of urban microclimate: A case study for Bergpolder Zuid, Rotterdam. Building and Environment 83, 79-90. (Preprint ) doi:10.1016/j.buildenv.2014.08.004
18. Gromke CB, Blocken B, Janssen WD, Merema B, van Hooff T, Timmermans HJP. 2015. CFD analysis of transpirational cooling by vegetation: Case study for specific meteorological conditions during a heat wave in Arnhem, Netherlands. Building and Environment 83, 11-26. (Preprint ) doi:10.1016/j.buildenv.2014.04.022
17. van Hooff T, Blocken B, Hensen JLM, Timmermans HJP, 2014. On the predicted effectiveness of climate adaptation measures for residential buildings. Building and Environment 82, 300-316. (Preprint )doi:10.1016/j.buildenv.2014.08.027
16. van Hooff T, Blocken B, Gousseau P, van Heijst GJF, 2014. Counter-gradient diffusion in a slot-ventilated enclosure assessed by LES and RANS. Computers & Fluids 96, 63-75. (Preprint ) doi:10.1016/j.compfluid.2014.02.020
15. Montazeri H, Blocken B, Janssen WD, van Hooff T. 2013. CFD evaluation of new second-skin facade concept for wind comfort on building balconies: Case-study for the Park Tower in Antwerp. Building and Environment 68, 179-192. (Preprint ) doi:10.1016/j.buildenv.2013.07.004
14. van Hooff T, Blocken B, van Heijst GJF, 2013. On the suitability of steady RANS CFD for forced mixing ventilation at transitional slot Reynolds numbers. Indoor Air 23, 236-249. (Preprint )doi: 10.1111/ina.12010
13. van Hooff T, Blocken B, 2013. CFD simulation of natural ventilation of indoor environments by the concentration decay method: CO2 gas dispersion from a large semi-enclosed stadium. Building and Environment 61, 1-17. (Preprint ) doi:10.1016/j.buildenv.2012.11.021
12. Janssen WD, Blocken B, van Hooff T, 2013. Pedestrian wind comfort around buildings: comparison of wind comfort criteria based on whole-flow field data for a complex case study. Building and Environment59, 547-562. (Preprint ) doi:10.1016/j.buildenv.2012.10.012
11. van Hooff T, Blocken B, Defraeye T, Carmeliet J, van Heijst GJF, 2012. PIV measurements of a plane wall jet in a confined space at transitional slot Reynolds numbers. Experiments in Fluids 53(2), 499-517.OPEN ACCESS LINK (doi:10.1007/s00348-012-1305-5)
10. van Hooff T, Blocken B, Defraeye T, Carmeliet J, van Heijst GJF, 2012. PIV measurements and analysis of transitional flow in a reduced-scale model: ventilation by a free plane jet with Coanda effect. Building and Environment 56, 301-313. (Preprint ) 10.1016/j.buildenv.2012.03.020
9. van Hooff T, Blocken B, 2012. Full-scale measurements of indoor environmental conditions and natural ventilation in a large semi-enclosed stadium: possibilities and limitations for CFD validation. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 104-106, 330-341. (Preprint ) doi:10.1016/j.jweia.2012.02.009
8. van Hooff T, Blocken B, Aanen L, Bronsema B, 2012. Numerical analysis of the performance of a venturi-shaped roof for natural ventilation: influence of building width. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 104-106, 419-427. (Preprint ) doi:10.1016/j.jweia.2012.02.013
7. Blocken B, Janssen WD, van Hooff T, 2012. CFD simulation for pedestrian wind comfort and wind safety in urban areas: General decision framework and case study for the Eindhoven University campus. Environmental Modelling & Software 30, 15-34. (Preprint ) doi:10.1016/j.envsoft.2011.11.009
6. van Hooff T, van Harten M, Blocken B, 2011. Numerical analysis of wind-driven rain shelter in sports stadia: influence of stadium geometry. Building and Environment 46(1): 22-37. (Preprint )doi:10.1016/j.buildenv.2010.06.013
5. van Hooff T, Blocken B, Aanen L, Bronsema B, 2011. A venturi-shaped roof for wind-induced natural ventilation of buildings: wind tunnel and CFD evaluation of different design configurations. Building and Environment 46(9): 1797-1807. (Preprint ) doi:10.1016/j.buildenv.2011.02.009 [2011 Best Paper Award from the Journal Building and Environment]
4. Blocken B, van Hooff T, Aanen L, Bronsema B, 2011. Computational analysis of the performance of a venturi-shaped roof for natural ventilation: venturi-effect versus wind-blocking effect. Computers & Fluids48(1): 202-213.(Preprint ) doi:10.1016/j.compfluid.2011.04.012
3. van Hooff T, Blocken B, 2010. Coupled urban wind flow and indoor natural ventilation modelling on a high-resolution grid: A case study for the Amsterdam ArenA stadium. Environmental Modelling & Software 25(1): 51-65. (Preprint ) doi:10.1016/j.envsoft.2009.07.008
2. van Hooff T, Blocken B, 2010. On the effect of wind direction and urban surroundings on natural ventilation of a large semi-enclosed stadium. Computers & Fluids 39(7): 1146-1155. (Preprint )doi:10.1016/j.compfluid.2010.02.004
1. Persoon J, van Hooff T, Blocken B, Carmeliet J, de Wit MH, 2008. On the impact of roof geometry on rain shelter in football stadia. Journal of Wind Engineering and Industrial Aerodynamics 96(8-9): 1274-1293. (Preprint ) doi:10.1016/j.jweia.2008.02.036
Papers in proceedings of international conferences
A total of 70 papers presented in conference proceedings:
40th AIVC, 8th TightVent & 6th Venticool Conference 2019, Ghent, Belgium
10th IAQVEC 2019, Bari, Italy
Indoor Air 2018, Philadelphia, PA, USA.
Roomvent/Ventilation 2018, Helsinki, Finland.
ISHVAC 2017, Jinan, China.
Healthy Buildings Europe 2017, Lublin, Poland.
Indoor Air 2016, 3-8 July 2016, Ghent, Belgium.
The 8th International Colloquium on Bluff Body Aerodynamics and Applications (BBAA8), 7-10 June, Boston, MA, USA.
The 9th International Symposium on Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (ISHVAC) and the 3rd International Conference on Building Energy and Environment (COBEE), 12-15 July 2015 Tianjin, China.
Healthy Buildings Europe 2015, 18-20 May 2015, Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
The 6th International Symposium on Computational Wind Engineering, 8-12 June 2014, Hamburg, Germany.
The 13th Conference of the Italian Association for Wind Engineering, IN-VENTO, 22-25 June 2014, Genova, Italy.
The 7th International Congress on Environmental Modelling and Software, 15-19 June 2014, San Diego, California. USA.
The 6th European-African Conference on Wind Engineering (EACWE 2013), July 7-11, 2013, Cambridge, UK.
Building Simulation 2013 (BS 2013), August 25-28, 2013, Chambery, France.
Eurotherm Seminar No96: Convective Heat Transfer Enhancement, September 17-18, 2013, Brussels, Belgium.
The AIA-DAGA 2013 Conference on Acoustics, 18-21 March 2013, Merano, Italy.
The 6th International Congress on Environmental Modelling and Software (iEMSs), 1-5 July 2012, Leipzig, Germany.
Healthy Buildings 2012, 8-12 July 2012, Brisbane, Australia.
The 10th UK Conference on Wind Engineering, 10-12 September 2012, Southampton, UK.
The 7th International Colloquium on Bluff Body Aerodynamics and Applications (BBAA7), September 2-6, 2012, Shanghai, China.
The 12th International Conference on Air Distribution in Rooms (ROOMVENT 2011), 19-22 June 2011, Trondheim, Norway.
The 13th International Conference on Wind Engineering (ICWE13), 10-15 July 2011, Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
The 9th Nordic Symposium on Building Physics (NSB2011), 29 May - 2 June 2011, Tampere, Finland.
The 5th International Symposium on Computational Wind Engineering, 23-27 May 2010, Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA.
The 11th Americas Conference on Wind engineering, 22-26 June 2009, San Juan, Puerto Rico.
The 5th European and African Conference on Wind Engineering, 19-23 July 2009, Florence, Italy.
The 11th International Building Performance Simulation Conference, 27-30 July 2009, Glasgow, Scotland.
PHYSMOD 2009. International Workshop on Physical Modelling of Flow and Dispersion Phenomena, August 24-26, 2009, Von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics, Sint-Genesius-Rode, Belgium.
Research Day International Conference on Perspectives on European Healthcare Design and Planning: Achieving Excellence in Diversity. TNO, Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
The 8th Symposium of Building Physics in the Nordic Countries (NSB 2008), June 16-18 2008, Copenhagen, Denmark.
Building Physics Symposium in honour of Professor Hugo Hens, 29-31 October 2008, Leuven, Belgium.