Tiago Stegun Vaquero
Member of Technical Staff
Artificial Intelligence Group
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of Technology
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
Email: vaquero (at) jpl (dot) nasa (dot) gov
Tiago Vaquero is a data scientist at JPL. He is a former research scientist at MIT CSAIL (2017) and a postdoctoral fellow at MIT and Caltech from 2015 to 2017, working on risk-bounded probabilistic planning and scheduling, planning and execution architectures, and autonomous vehicles/robots for space and underwater exploration. He was also a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Toronto from 2011 to 2014, working on automated planning and scheduling, and assistive robots. In 2011 he received his Ph.D. from the University of Sao Paulo. In 2007 he received his M.Sc. and in 2003 he received his B.Sc. both in mechatronics engineering from the University of Sao Paulo. His research interests include autonomous vehicles, automated planning and scheduling, probabilistic planning, robotic space and underwater exploration, knowledge engineering, artificial intelligence and robotics in general.
- Lecture: Adversarial Search. MIT Course 16.410/16.413: Principles of Autonomy and Decision Making.
- Lecture: Planning with Temporal Landmarks. MIT Course 16.412: Cognitive Robotics.
Awards and Honours
- Postdoctoral award, Government of Canada Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship 2011-12, Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada (DFAIT).
- Winner, 3rd International Competition on Knowledge Engineering for Planning & Scheduling (ICKEPS'09) with the itSIMPLE tool. Thessaloniki, Greece, September 2009.
- Runner-up, IBM Insites Challenge, IBM Connect and Play 2006. São Paulo, Brazil, Dec. 2006.
- One of the eight best business plans, Intel + UC Berkeley Technology Entrepreneurship Challenge, Haas School of Business, Lester Center for Entrepreneurship, University of California, Berkeley, USA, October 2006.
- 1st prize, 1st GV-Intel Entrepreneurship and Venture Capital – Innovation and Technology, FGV-EAESP, São Paulo, Brazil, October 2006.
- 2nd Runner-up and Best Written Business Plan Award, international business plan competition Moot Corp Latin America 2006, FGV-EAESP, São Paulo, Brazil, March-April 2006.