Hiring the hall
The hall is a great venue for all sorts of events. It is used for meetings, gigs, orchestra and choir rehearsals, movies, plays, weddings, art shows, conferences, classes, markets and more. Please note, however, that the hall is subject to the Kāpiti Coast District Council's noise control regulations. Because it is located in a residential area, it is not suitable for very loud bands or other events, and music must stop by 11pm.
The Paekākāriki Community Trust hires out the hall on an as-is-where-is basis. The hall has a capacity of 195. It will seat 160 if seats are placed close together and the first row is close to the stage.
Hire rates cover use of the hall and stage, 21 trestle tables (these are 760mm x 1830mm) and 160 chairs. In the kitchen, there are about 80 cups, 20 glasses, a limited supply of cutlery and a few basic implements (pics of kitchen gear here). Additional charges apply for use of the kitchen for catering purposes and for special equipment. You'll find more pictures of the hall here and on our Facebook page.
Please bring your own tea towels (they keep disappearing)!
Hire charges help cover hall running expenses (e.g. rates, lease, electricity and maintenance) and ensure that the hall continues to exist as a resource for the community.
- Standard rate for the hall: $20 per hour
- Discounted rate for free, non-commercial public events run by no-income Paekākāriki groups (not for Fridays or Saturdays after 5pm): $10 per hour
- 24-hour rate: $300, then pro-rata for part days.
Extras (follow links for pictures)
- Kitchen for catering/cooking food: $20 per day. (No charge if you just want to make tea and coffee. Note there is only a bar fridge.)
- Crockery and cutlery hire - we have 100 dinner plates, bowls, wine glasses, knives, forks, spoons, teaspoons; plus 80 coffee mugs and 40 water glasses: $1 per person to use all of this. Losses/breakages to be replaced.
- Stage lights: $30 per day ($100 if you need assistance). There are 14 bar-mounted red/green/blue LED Par stage lights. 6 lights front of stage, 4 overhead, 4 back of stage. Desk controlled.
- Hazer: $10 per day.
- Film projector and screen (the projector and screen are fixed in place at back and front of the hall): $30 per day.
- Stereo (for playing music on CD, computer, iPod): $10 per day.
- Cordless mic (plays through basic speakers): $30 per day.
Cleaning deposit. The Trust reserves the right to charge a $50 cleaning deposit. The deposit will be returned to you at the end of the hire if the hall is left clean and in the condition it was in before the hire.
If you are hiring the hall, you will need to watch noise levels. The hall is not suitable for very loud gigs, and bands will need to stop playing by 11pm. Please read the conditions of hire below.
Excessive noise should be reported directly to the Kāpiti Coast District Council at the time it is occurring by calling 04 296 4700 or 0800 486 486.
How to book
Simply fill in our online booking form and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.
Payment and confirmation of your booking
You will normally need to pay the full cost of hire in advance by internet banking in order to secure your booking. Once you have submitted the booking form, we will email you (usually within 24 hours) with payment instructions. If you are unable to pay when you make your booking, we will need to agree on alternative arrangements.
Multi-day and long-term bookings. As long-term bookings tend to disadvantage local residents requiring the hall for short-term purposes, any long-term booking needs to be approved by the Trust. This may take a bit of time, so contact us early.
If you cancel a week or more before the event, we will refund your fee. Please provide us with a bank account number and name of account holder, and we will transfer the funds electronically. We will give refunds for late cancellations only in exceptional circumstances.
Access to the hall
Someone will let you into the hall just before the start time you specified on the booking form.
Conditions of hire
- Any hire is at the discretion of the Trust, and conditions may be varied by the Trust.
- The Trust reserves the right to cancel bookings in exceptional circumstances should the hall be required for community use. We will provide a full refund.
- Hirers agree to indemnify the Trust against any damage to the hall or its equipment.
- Hirers are responsible for cleaning up after using the hall. The hall should be left in the condition it was in before the hire. All rubbish must be removed from the hall and the area around it. Lights, heaters and electrical appliances must be turned off.
- If the hall and surrounds are not left clean and tidy, the hirer will be charged an additional $50 to pay for a cleaner.
- Noise levels should not be excessive. Events at the hall are subject to the Kāpiti Coast District Council's noise control regulations. All hirers should respect the fact that the hall is located close to residential properties. Doors and shutters should be closed when loud music is being played. Music must stop by 11pm.
- No sticking posters on the paint work.
- The use of gear or equipment that the hall does not provide may incur an additional charge. For example, special stage lighting may incur an extra charge to cover electricity.
- Hirers agree to obtain a special alcohol licence if they wish to sell alcohol to persons attending any function or event in the hall.
- Hirers agree that for their own and everyone’s safety, they will NOT have naked flames or candles in the hall and will provide their own torch for safety in case of a power cut.
- If a hirer wishes to leave the hall or stage arranged in a way that impairs the hall’s use by other hirers, they will be charged a block booking covering the period between their setting up and vacating the hall, whether or not the hirer is actually in occupation of the hall during this time.
- Hirers agree not to move the piano on to the stage. A breach of this condition will incur a charge of $350, being the cost of re-tuning the piano.
- All hirers will complete the booking form agreeing to these terms and conditions. Bookings must allow time for any set up and clean up before and after the event.