SSS TUOLUMNE SAFETY RULES
These are specific safety rules pertaining to the SSS TUOLUMNE. Many of these safety rules may pertain to other ships and locations. It is very important that you read, understand, and comply with all safety rules, warnings, instructions, and posters.
- The hatches to the engine room are to remain shut during engine operations.
- When opening ANY hatch, open door slowly and deliberately, controlling the movement of the door at all times.
- Engine room door creates a pinch spot with midships port hatch
- All crew members will wear lifejackets during Sea and Anchor detail.
- No running, jumping, or horseplay about the decks.
- Use both hands when climbing ladders.
- Secure all gear at all times.
- Be aware of moving and hot machinery in the engine room
- Assume all wires are live and hot.
- Use extreme caution when moving from the ship to a dock and back, especially if the ship is not tied up yet (Sea and Anchor Detail)
- Never step on any line lying about the decks.
- Never walk backwards. If you absolutely must do so, have a spotter.
- Be aware of open hatches in decks. You could fall into one.
- Place orange cones near open deck hatches as a warning to others.
- No opened toed shoes allowed onboard the ship, except in shower.
- Wear ear and eye protection whenever working with in and around any machines.
- Always give 100% of your attention when on watch.
- If you don’t know where something belongs, ASK!
- Report all injuries, no matter how serious to the Skipper.
- Clean areas are safe areas, do your best to keep everything clean.
- Always wear suitable clothing aboard ship.
- Know your muster station in the event of an emergency.
DON’T BE AFRAID TO ASK QUESTIONS! THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A DUMB QUESTION, IF YOU DON’T KNOW THE ANSWER!