No street shoes in the wrestling room. Please take them off at the door before entering the room. This is mandatory for hygienic and health reasons. Also, please keep your child's fingernails trimmed. Referees check them before each match for safety reasons.
Learn the 3 basic positions:
- Ankle breaks – arm chops – spiral
- Hips, angles, staying off knees, under arms, weight on bottom man, wrist control
- Stand-up – switch – sit out and turn in (high)
- Position, hips, hand control, constant movement, elbows in, square up
Neutral - Take Downs and Counters:
- Single leg – double leg – high crotch – cross face – sprawling
Areas of focus for each position
- Lowering elevations
- Getting in close
- Making the shot
A minimum of two practices per week is required for your child to be eligible to hold a position on Varsity or JV. This requirement must also be met in order to wrestle off for a Varsity or JV position. Illness or injury will be treated on a case by case basis. Please contact a coach if you will miss a practice or match.
Wrestling Room Conduct
Only coaches and wrestlers are invited in the wrestling room during practice. Due to the acoustics and limited size of our wrestling room, parents and siblings are asked to sit outside in the hallway. Please bring a chair and some reading material and relax outside while the coaches instruct your child in the fine art of wrestling.