Getting started as a new player
- Walk within range of a portal
- Tap Hack button to get items
- Hold Hack button and swipe upwards to see more hacking options (Left to Right: Glyph Hacking, Key Hacking, No Key Hacking)
1. Farm For Items
The hack button lights up when you are in range of a portal. Hack(farm) as much as you can as to get items for game play. You can do a maximum of 4 hacks in 4 hours before the portal burns out. Hacking Enlightened portals (green enemy portals) gives an extra 100 AP, but generally lesser items, so farm blue portals for more items to help you in leveling!
You can also farm and get more items via glyph hacking (long press the hack button and swipe towards 10 o'clock). Read Golro’s Guide to Glyphing to learn more.
2a. Deploy Resonators
Always deploy resonators if you see a portal that is short on resonators. Each resonator deployed is 125 AP, and the last resonator deployed gives a bonus of 250 AP (125 AP + 250 AP). If you see a neutral portal (grey portal), capture it to get a bonus of 500 AP (125 AP + 500 AP) for first resonator deployed!
2b. How to deploy a Resonator?
Deploying resonators is both an art and a strategic technique. To get a good deployment range, deploy your resonators just as your circle is "kissing" the portal as shown in the picture on the right. Portals with spread out resonators are harder for enemies to take down. Deploy any resonators you can, though note that higher level resonators has more HP and last longer.
2c. Deploying Mods
Portal mods upgrades a portal. Each portal has 4 mod slots but each player can deploy up to 2 mods per portal. Each mod deployed gives 125 AP. Mods cannot be removed once they are upgraded into a portal, so be careful and choose your mods wisely! Read more about the various types of portal mods here.
3. Collect Keys and Create Control Fields
Portal keys allow you to make links and control fields. Click on "Link" and you will be able to see a selection of portals nearby that you can link to. You will need the key of a portal you wish to link to. 1 key is used up per link made, and you can maximise AP gain by keeping your keys till you can make a control field. To hold more than 1 key of a portal, you can either keep your existing key(s) in a capsule, or glyph hack for a chance to get more keys.
Create short links and control fields for more AP to level! Bigger control fields do not give you more AP. Long links also block our fellow resistance players from fielding and leveling, so please be considerate. If you're not sure, sound out in the chat before linking =)
Each link gives you 313 AP and each control field (3 portals linked together to form a small triangle gives you a control field) created gives you 1250 AP. You then gain 313 + 313 + 313 + 1250 = 2189 AP!
If your area is predominantly Enlightened-controlled, do collect keys as well for a chance to link when it turns blue. Seek help from agents in our friendly community to help turn it blue!
1. Can I take down an enemy portal?
Many portals in Singapore are of high levels and xmps from level 1-3 hardly do any damage. However, if you see a dying resonator and would really like to try, we recommend that you stand on the resonator (your arrow would be directly on top of the dying resonator) before firing your xmp, to get the most damage that you can.
2. Why can't I link?
There are instances where you would be unable to make links:
- There are already 8 outgoing links from the origin portal (the portal where you want to link out from).
- Each portal allows only a maximum of 8 outgoing links
- The destination portal (the portal you want to link to) is not fully deployed.
- The destination portal or origin portal is not high level enough for the distance you wish to link.
- Tap a Portal and view Mods or Deploy to see the Range of linking
- The link you want to make is being blocked by another link.
- You cannot link across an existing link regardless of faction
- The origin portal is under a Control Field.
- You cannot make links from a portal that is under a control field
3. What are Missions and why do some of them look like cut out of a larger image?
Missions requires interacting with specific portals (sometimes in a specific order), and reward you with a mission picture in your agent profile. These also count towards the SpecOps badge.
Some missions form what is called Mission Banners that needs to be completed in the right order to appear as a nice banner or artwork in your profile. Visit Ingress Mosaik for more details on each mission or mission banner (Note that language can be changed to English via the left drawer).
What kind of events are there and how do I know more about them?
A full listing of events all over the world can be found here.