What can I do as a new player?
- Tap Hack button to get items
- Hold Hack button and swipe upwards to see more hacking options
1. Farm For Items
Move into range of portals and hack(farm) and burn them out. The hack button lights up when you are in range of the portal. This is very important as farming gives you items for game play. You can do a maximum of 4 hacks in 4 hours before the portal burns out. Hacking Enlightened portals (green enemy portals) gives an extra 100 AP, but generally lesser items, so farm blue portals for more items to help you in leveling!
You can also farm and get more items via glyph hacking (long press the hack button and swipe towards 10 o'clock). Read Golro’s Guide to Glyphing to learn more.
2a. Deploy Resonators
Always deploy resonators if you see a portal that is short on resonators. Each resonator deployed is 125 AP, and the last resonator deployed gives a bonus of 250 AP (125 AP + 250 AP). If you see a neutral portal (grey portal), please go ahead and capture the portal as the first resonator deployed gives a bonus of 500 AP (125 AP + 500 AP)!
2b. How to deploy a Resonator?
Deploying resonators is an art. To get a good deployment range, deploy your resonators only when your circle is "kissing" the portal as shown in the left picture. Portals that are well deployed make it harder for enemies to take down. Do not worry if you can only deploy low level resonators, as other higher level agents can always help upgrade over your resonators.
2c. Deploying Mods
Portal mods upgrades a portal. Each portal has 4 mod slots and each player can deploy up to 2 mods per portal. Each mod deployed gives 125 AP. Note that mods cannot be removed once they are upgraded into a portal, so be careful and choose your mods wisely! Read more about portal mods here.
3. Collect Keys and Create Control Fields
Portal keys allow you to make links and control fields. Click on "Link" and you will be able to see a selection of portals nearby that you can link to. You will need the key of a portal you wish to link to. If you do not have that key, simply farm for it. 1 key is used up whenever a link is made, and you can maximise AP gain by keeping your keys till you can make a control field. To hold more than 1 key, you can either keep your existing key(s) in a capsule, or glyph hack for a chance to get more keys.
Create short links and control fields for more AP to level! Bigger control fields do not give you more AP. Long links also block our fellow resistance players from fielding and leveling, so please be considerate. If you're not sure, sound out on the chat before linking =)
Each link gives you 313 AP and each control field (3 portals linked together to form a small triangle gives you a control field) created gives you 1250 AP. You then gain 313 + 313 + 313 + 1250 = 2189 AP!
If your area is predominantly Enlightened-controlled, do collect keys as well for a chance to link when it turns blue. Seek help from agents in our friendly community to help turn it blue!
1. Can I take down an enemy portal?
Many portals in Singapore are of high levels and xmps from level 1-3 hardly do any damage. However, if you see a dying resonator and would really like to try, we recommend that you stand on the resonator (your arrow would be directly on top of the dying resonator) before firing your xmp, to get the most damage that you can.
2. Why can't I link?
There are instances where you would be unable to make links:
- There are already 8 outgoing links from the origin portal (the portal where you want to link out from).
- Each portal allows only a maximum of 8 outgoing links
- The destination portal (the portal you want to link to) is not fully deployed.
- The destination portal or origin portal is not high level enough for the distance you wish to link.
- Tap a Portal and view Mods or Deploy to see the distance range
- The link you want to make is being blocked by another link.
- You cannot link across an existing link regardless of faction
- The origin portal is under a Control Field.
- You cannot make links from a portal that is under a control field
3. Where can I find Portals near me or in another area?
To check out portals near you for more efficient game play, visit INGRESS INTEL PAGE