Media coverage of my projects
- Reuters - African penguins threatened by climate change and over-fishing (Video).
- Scientific American - African penguins pulled into an ecological trap (Podcast).
- Nature Research Highlights - Penguins caught in an ecological trap.
- The Independent (UK) - Endangered penguins hunting for fish in wrong place after climate change creates 'ecological trap'.
- Times Live - African penguin vanishing from coast.
- News24 - Swimming with the penguins at Boulders Beach may be over (by Lawrence Bartlett, AFP).
- Bloomberg News - African Penguins Face Short Lives, Few Chicks as Sardines Flee.
- Portland Press Herald (USA) - Fish shortage may imperil African penguins.
- Times Live (South Africa) - Government says it’s working to save our starving penguins.
- The Conversation (UK) - Endangered African penguins on the rebound, but not yet in the clear by Caitlin Kight.
- Current Biology (Magazine Feature) - Can zoos offer more than entertainment? by Michael Gross.
- Financial Mail (South Africa) - No-fish quandary and Rattling the food chain a two-part series by Michael Cherry (PDF of part 1 here).
- Conservation Magazine (USA) - Could hand-reared penguins help seed new colonies? by Jason G. Goldman.
- PBS (USA) - Hand-rearing abandoned African penguins could help save endangered species by Ashira Morris.
- SPIEGEL Online - Speichern Nachzüchtung Pinguin-Kolonien (in German, coverage of my publication in PLoS One on the survival of hand-reared chicks).
- Nature News - African penguins put researchers in a flap by Michael Cherry.
- Dein SPIEGEL (Germany) - Seevögel in Not (Seabirds in Need) by Christa Roth (text in German).
- Business Day (South Africa) - Research may give ostrich industry wings (see my publication with Maud Bonato and colleagues on immune responses and growth rate in ostriches).
- Africa Geographic (South Africa) - So long, and thanks for taking all the fish... by Cheryl-Samantha Owen (PDF here).
- Radio Today (South Africa) - on The Sappi Nature Journal talking about the satellite tracking of fledgling African penguins.
- 50|50 (SABC2, South Africa) - Interviewed about and filmed catching oiled penguins. Aired 2012.
- Oiled Wildlife Care Network Blog (USA) - Oiled penguins in South Africa.
- Talk Radio (South Africa) - on Environment Hour talking about satellite tracking penguins.
- Smithsonian (USA) - Make Way for the African Penguins by Charles Bergman.
- 50|50 (SABC2, South Africa) - Interview about tracking of fledgling penguins. (video, top right).
- Mail and Guardian (South Africa) - South African scientists to track penguins in wild.
- Cape Times (South Africa) - Lucy the penguin swims into history with a backpack.
- 3 News (New Zealand) - South African scientists to track penguins.
- Cape Argus (South Africa) - Penguin research goes swimmingly.
- The Telegraph (UK)- Radio-controlled penguins: South Africa fits trackers to monitor baby birds.
- National Geographic Online - the spot project is mentioned in an article on flipper banding.
- BBC News (UK) - Biometrics picks up the penguins and Penguins spotted by their spots (video).
- BBC Radio 4 (UK) - Peter Barham on Click On talking about Penguin Biometrics (at 21 mins).
- 50|50 (SABC2, South Africa) -Filmed and interviewed about automated penguin biometrics on “African Penguin: Twilight Hour”. Aired 2007.