Exoplanets Orbiting Hot Stars
June 20-22, 2018 ♦ Vanderbilt University
In the era of TESS and Gaia, many of the brightest and best characterized exoplanet hosts will be hot stars. Recent advances in technology and methodology have enabled the discovery and study of exoplanets around hot stars. This meeting will bring together experts on such planets, the stars they orbit, and the many different observational and theoretical methods used to study them. Join us in Nashville in June 2018 for hot stars, hot planets, hot weather, and hot chicken.
Registration and abstract submission:
Registration is open. The deadline for abstract submission has now passed, but registration will remain open.
- Faculty/Professional: $200
- Postdoc: $100
- Student: $50
Registration includes lunch and coffee/snacks on each day of the meeting. The registration fee is payable by credit card at the time of registration, or by personal check upon arrival at the conference. Registration fee waivers are available to those with financial need. We also have some limited funds available for travel support. If you require travel support, please email johnson dot 7240 at osu dot edu and the request will be considered by the SOC, with preference to early career participants.
Meeting email list: if you wish to be kept informed of conference news but do not yet wish to register, click here to sign up for our email list.
Code of Conduct: We expect meeting attendees to adhere to professional standards of conduct. We have adopted a Code of Conduct for this meeting; please familiarize yourself with this document, which can be read in full here.
Meeting logistics: The meeting venue will be in Wilson Hall (Lecture Room 103) on the Vanderbilt University campus. We will begin the first session at 10:30 AM on Wednesday June 20, and end the last session just after 3:00 PM on Friday June 22, in order to accommodate those who wish to arrive in Nashville on the morning of the first day and/or depart on the afternoon/evening of the last day.
Lodging: We have secured a block of reserved rooms at the Spring Hill Suites, at 1800 West End Ave, Nashville, TN 37203, just a few blocks from the meeting venue. We have a negotiated rate of $176 per night, which includes free continental breakfast and hotel wifi. The hotel block has reserved rooms June 20-22. Click here to reserve your room. The deadline to reserve a room is May 25, 2018.
The reserved room block only goes from June 18-22, and you can only reserve within those dates through the link above. If you would like to arrive earlier or depart later, reserve the nights that you would like through the link above. Once you receive your confirmation number, send that number and your name to Melissa dot Porter at marriott dot com, and ask for the additional nights that you want to be added to your reservation. If you do that, you will get the negotiated rate, so long as there are rooms still available. The reason we had to do it this way is that with the high demand for hotel rooms in Nashville, we had to promise that the rooms would be occupied, and pay a penalty if we missed the mark, and we don't know how many people would be coming early or leaving the day after. Please do book at this hotel - it is likely to be cheaper than most other places in the area, and we will incur a penalty if we don't get enough of the rooms booked. You are also more likely to get rooms on dates outside of June 18-22 if you book early.
Parking: If needed, the Terrace Place Parking garage across the street from Wilson Hall has metered parking spots for $15/day.
Transportation: The most convenient option for getting from the Nashville airport to the hotel is via taxi (approx $30) or Lyft/Uber (approx $20). There is a public bus that serves the airport for approx $2, however it is infrequent (every ~45 mins or so) and will require a transfer to another bus at the downtown bus terminal.
Poster: Download and share widely!
Things to do in Nashville: By no means an exhaustive list of fun things to do, but these are some recommendations from the locals...
- Station Inn: World class old-timey bluegrass in the trendy Gulch neighborhood downtown
- Robert's Western World: Classic Nashville Honky Tonk in the heart of old downtown Nashville
- Play Dance Bar: Actually, a dance club with drag shows and a large dance floor that goes all night (well, until 3am)
- Tribe Video Bar: Next door to Play, should you require liquid courage before dancing the night away
- Monell's: Traditional "meat and three" Southern restaurant in the historic Germantown neighborhood downtown
- Hattie B's: More hot chicken!
- Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum: Seriously awesome museum on the history of Americana music... Honor Thy Music!
- Nashville Sounds minor league baseball: Beautiful stadium downtown... and more hot chicken! Home games June 21-24.
- Pinewood Social: Hipster central in the riverfront area of downtown... good cocktails and games and bowling in a see-and-be-seen scene
- Grand Ole Opry: ~2.5-hr live country music radio shows on Tues/Wed/Fri/Sat from Opry Mills ($25 + $1 per extra person flat rate taxi from downtown)
- Ryman Auditorium: The original home of the Grand Ole Opry in the heart of old downtown Nashville... as the old billboards said: See the Mother Church of Country Music!
- Parthenon: A replica of the original in Athens, and also houses an art gallery. Located in Centennial Park across West End from Vanderbilt
- Brendan Bowler (Texas)
- Joleen Carlberg (STScI)
- Andrew Collier Cameron (St Andrews)
- Kaitlin Kratter (Arizona)
- Anne-Marie Lagrange (Grenoble)
- David Latham (Harvard-Smithsonian CfA)
- Simon Murphy (Sydney)
- Ruth Murray-Clay (UC Santa Cruz)
- Eric Nielsen (Gemini)
- Don Pollacco (Warwick)
- Jamie Tayar (Ohio State)
- Andrew Tkachenko (KU Leuven)
- Siyi Xu (Gemini)
Scientific Organizing Committee:
- Karen Collins (Harvard-Smithsonian CfA)
- Scott Gaudi (Ohio State)
- Marshall Johnson (Ohio State)
- Joshua Pepper (Lehigh)
- Keivan Stassun (Vanderbilt)
- Daniel Stevens (Ohio State)
Local Organizing Committee:
- Michael Lund (Vanderbilt)
- Ryan Oelkers (Vanderbilt)
- Keivan Stassun (Vanderbilt)