In 2003, the New York Hammer squad began as a vision Paddy McGrath shared with Kevin Sullivan over lunch: Spreading hammer knowledge to coaches at the high school level and developing American hammer throwing and performance on the world stage. Since then it has grown into a haven for throwers from all over the Tri-state area.
Thanks to the generosity and support from Steven Michealski, who donated land in Middletown from 2012-2017 and, Jeff and Lynne Diener in Wallkill, NY who currently provide facilities, the club has flourished into the powerhouse it is today.
The squad has produced countless High School, Junior, Youth and NCAA qualifiers and champions, as well as Senior USA National champions and qualifiers. The club has helped many aspiring athletes earn scholarships and spots on NCAA Division I, II and II teams.
New York Hammer Throw Squad is an elite training group run by Paddy McGrath and Kevin Sullivan. We are currently based out of Ulster County, NY.
Our club boasts the following athletic achievements:
- USA National Champion 2018
- USA Men's Junior Champion 2018
- NCAA National Champion 2017
- USA Olympic Trials Champion 2016
- Heps Record Holder both indoor and outdoor in Hammer and weight throw.
- US HS Boys Hammer Record holder
- HIgh School Boy Athlete of the Year Track and field News 2013
- 5 HS US Weight Throw Champions
- 5 HS US Hammer Throw Champions
- 3 USATF Senior Champions
- 4 USATF Junior Champions
- 3 USATF Youth Champions
- 2 IAAF World Youth Finalists
- 2 IAAF World Junior Finalists
- 1 Pan American Junior Champion
- 1 Pan American Silver Medalist
- 1 US Junior Olympic Champion U-16
- 3 NY State weight throw Champions
- 1 NY State Shot Put Champion