Welcome to Cub Scout Pack 43
Mt. Zion, Illinois
January Pack Meeting - PINEWOOD DERBY!
- Saturday, January 26, 2019 (see times below)
- Mt. Zion Grade School Gym - 725 W. Main St, Mt. Zion, IL 62549
- Cars can be pre-checked for weight and alignments on Tuesday, January 22 from 6:00 pm -7:00 pm at the United Methodist Church. This is not the official check-in. This is simply to speed along the check-in on Friday night and Saturday by less adjustments having to be made at those times.
- Limited practice runs will be allowed on Friday, January 25 at 7:00 p.m.
- Cars may be checked in on Friday night between 7:00-8:00 p.m. - this will help you avoid lines on Saturday morning (cars will be stored in a secure location)
Please make sure you read the Pack 43 Pinewood Derby rules *BEFORE* your Scout starts to build their car. We do not wish to disqualify any cars on the day of the races. Rules can be found HERE.
Den winner pictures for the Mount Zion Region News will be taken at the end of each rank level race time.
REMEMBER - this event should be a Scout and adult partner joint activity with the SCOUT doing as much of the work as possible (Cub Scout use of power tools is prohibited). Make this a memory your Scout will remember for a lifetime!
Pinewood Derby car kits have been distributed to Den Leaders. A $5 deposit is required for a car kit, which is refunded in full upon check-in at the derby.
RACE TIMES: Please view schedule to the left/above.
* On race day, cars may *NOT* be checked in or weighed early - please come at the time appropriate for your Scout's rank!
** Cars not checked in 5 minutes prior to race time will not race. We encourage families to check in on Friday night to avoid lines on Saturday morning.
^^ Pack 43 Leadership will do its best to stick to the race times indicated here, but sometimes forces beyond our control cause us to get a little behind. If we do, we will do our best to catch up. Our best advice to you is to be at the school and checked in ON TIME. We will *not* start races early if we happen to get ahead of schedule so that all family members can arrive on time for the races.
*** The Pack Race consists of the top 2 finishers from each Den race - cars must be left at the school in a secure location and no modifications or repairs can be made after the Den races. Participants must be present to race their cars in the Pack Race.
Some of our new scout families may be a little confused about our pack's rules regarding wheel and axle alignment. We've prepared the Pinewood Derby Car Building Tips sheet to help illustrate the rule and explain the reasoning behind it. Please review and consider the explanations as you finalize your cars, as adjusting the wheel and axle alignment can sometimes require several attempts. This document also covers some tips about weight type and placement!
We also have a Car Design Template sheet that if printed on 8.5 x 11 paper will be to scale, and allow your scout to sketch out a design of their car before cutting!
Need weights or supplies? Chris Monroe has weights, lube, and axle jigs for sale at cost to save you a trip to the store or buying online and waiting! Please see list of items available HERE.
Finally, if you have any questions about the Derby, please contact our Pinewood Derby Chairman Chris Monroe at firstname.lastname@example.org. Chris is happy to help with any questions you have about the event, building tips, or purchasing supplies.
Boy Scouts of America Scout Sunday
- Sunday, February 10, 2019 at 9:00 a.m.
- Mount Zion United Methodist Church
- Scouts who would like to help with bulletins can arrive by 8:30 a.m.
- All Scouts and adult leaders should be in Field Uniform ("Class A") for the service
- You do not need to be a United Methodist or a member of Mount Zion United Methodist Church to attend - ALL ARE WELCOME!
- As an alternative, Cub Scouts may also attend their home church in their Field Uniform (notify your Den Leader if this is the case - your Scout can get their patch and bead for their belt totem).
- Mount Zion Boy Scout Troop 43 helps conduct the worship service at MtZ UMC and they always do a great job!
- This is a great opportunity for our young Cub Scouts to see how the older boys in Boy Scouts can use their leadership skills.
- This is our time to thank our Chartered Organization for all their support for Scouting, Cub Scout Pack 43, Boy Scout Troop 43 and Venturing Crew 343!
- We hope to see you there!
February Pack Meeting - 2019 Blue & Gold Banquet
Who? - All Pack 43 Cub Scouts & their families
What? - 2019 Pack 43 Blue and Gold Banquet
Where? - Maranatha Assembly of God, 555 W. Imboden Dr, Decatur, IL
When? - Saturday, February 23, 2019 at 4:30 p.m.
Cost? - $10.00 per person (payment due with sign-up) $11.00 per person if paid after February 9th!!
**Child care is available (by experienced Maranatha staff which have been background checked) for siblings Kindergarten age and below. Cost is $5 per child and includes pizza!
Sign-up deadline: Wednesday, February 13th by 5:00 p.m. Your registration is not complete until payment is received by Pack Leadership!
- Main Event – Arrow of Light Scout Cross Over Ceremony
Our Arrow of Light Scouts will be awarded their Arrow of Light Award, Honor Arrows and will cross over from Cub Scouts to Boy Scouts in a special ceremony conducted by Boy Scouts from Boy Scout Troop 43
- Rank Advancements – in addition to the Arrow of Light ceremonies, many Webelos Scouts will be earning their rank emblems! Other ranks will be awarded at a later Pack Meeting.
- Meal is being catered again this year by Nelson’s Catering, following the awards presentation. Service will start around 6:00 p.m.
- ½ BBQ chicken, mashed potatoes & gravy, southern style green beans and roll & butter
- Drinks, table service and dessert provided
- Invited to attend – All Pack 43 Cub Scouts and their immediate families. Families of boys crossing over may invite grandparents or other special family members.
Click HERE to sign up!
Questions? Nate Scranton – Pack Secretary – email@example.com.
February Committee Meeting
- Tuesday, February 5, 2019 at 6:00 p.m. at Coz's Pizza, 1405 Village Parkway, Mount Zion, IL
- All Pack 43 parents are invited to attend and help us plan our program and upcoming events!
- All dens should be represented by a den leader, assistant den leader or parent(s).
Would you like to order a Pack 43 Activity ("Class B") uniform T-shirt? We have some in stock for purchase! For your convenience, you can now place and pay for your order online by clicking HERE. We will not be placing another order this year, so selections will be limited to in-stock items only. If you would like to pay with Cash or Check, we will have the shirts available at each pack meeting for walk-up sales. Any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or ask a committee member!
Pack 43 is entirely comprised of parent volunteers. While we strive to always have the best activities possible we cannot succeed without the parents who selflessly give their time. We welcome your feedback but we would also welcome your help. If you can help at any event(s) that interest you or if you have experience that would help our leadership team please let us know!
Please click here, or the image to the left to submit your feedback to our leadership!