About our Parish

The Catholic Parish of St John the Baptist and St Peter

Our Parish is part of the Grantham Deanery within the Roman Catholic Diocese of Nottingham and Metropolitan Province of Westminster.

Parish Priest

Our Parish Priest is Father Martin Hardy who took up his appointment in September 2018.

Prior to coming to Melton, he was Parish Priest at St Patrick's in Leicester.

List of Parish Priests (1842 - date)

Our Churches

Sunday Mass is currently celebrated at the Parish Church of St John the Baptist and St Francis' Convent Chapel.

Thorpe End, Melton Mowbray, LE13 1RB (...more info)

Dalby Road, Melton Mowbray, LE13 0BQ (...more info)


Former Churches

St Peter's, Welby Lane, Melton Mowbray. (...more info)

The Holy Family*, Stanley's Lane, Eastwell nr Melton Mowbray

*The chapel at Eastwell although within the boundaries of the current Catholic parish of Melton Mowbray, was served by its own Parish Priest.

Franciscan Sisters Minoress (FSM)

We consider ourselves very fortunate in Melton to be home to the Mother House of the Franciscan Sisters Minoress. Founded in London, 1888 by Mother Francis Murphy, the sisters accepted a request by the Rt Rev'd Edward Bagshawe (Bishop of Nottingham) to ministry in Melton in 1900.

The Mother General is: Sister Patricia Jordan FSM

For more information please visit: www.franciscansm.org

St Francis Catholic Primary School

There has been a history of Catholic education in Melton since the parish was formed in 1842, however the thriving school we know today can only be attributed to the hard work, dedication and ministry of the Franciscan Sister Minoress who are still hold the deed of trust.

The Headteacher is: Mrs Jo Anderson

For more information please visit: www.st-francis.leics.sch.uk

Our Lady of Czestochowa (Polish Church)

Following the end of the hostilites of World War II, Melton Air Base was transformed into a resettlement camp for Polish refugees who could not return to the free Poland for which they had fought. Although the Polish families fully integrated into the local community, there was a desire to maintain their cultural identity and to this end built the Church of Our Lady of Czestochowa, which was consecrated in 1963, and the Polish Club.

The Polish Church is a separate parish, served by a Priest appointed by the Polish Catholic Mission in England and Wales. It therefore isn't under the direct pastoral care of the Bishop of Nottingham.

For more information please visit: http://parafiamelton.ucoz.com/