About the Library
Mission: The McKinley Library works cooperatively to support the learning of all members of our community. The library program promotes the love of reading, inspires curiosity, and cultivates the skills necessary for critical thinking, lifelong learning, and effective, responsible use of ideas and information.
Our library was made possible with a major grant from the Carnegie Corporation. The Library was designed by architect Andrew Knox of Edelman Sultan Knox Wood / Architects LLP. Construction began in 2004; the library opened in 2005.
- A full-time, certified library media specialist
- 16,000+ print books, ebooks, and magazines
- An integrated makerspace
- Up-to-date technology
- NYC Schools’ premiere collection of cookbooks for children & families
(a continual grant from NY State)
- Free access to subscription databases
- Parenting book collection
- Weekly Family Library Time
- Little Siblings Story Time, led by our neighborhood public librarian
- Clubs (Harry Potter, Graphic Novels, Library & Information Science)
- Visiting authors and illustrators program
The library is a welcoming and safe haven for all students to think, create, share, and grow. Our library curriculum focuses on:
- Love of reading, promoting the love of reading by providing a diverse selection of current, high-interest reading materials for our students. In our collection, children can find “mirrors and windows” (both reflections of themselves and views of others). The librarian offers guidance to children in choosing engaging reading materials.
- Research/inquiry, supporting students’ natural curiosity by providing carefully curated resources as well as instruction in search strategies to find credible, useful, and developmentally-appropriate information.
- Citizenship, preparing students for the responsibilities of being a community member in both physical and digital environments.
- Creation and Innovation, encouraging meaningful, project-based problem-solving. Our growing makerspace, funded by a NYC Department of Education Innovation Grant, is stocked with materials for textile arts (sewing, knitting, weaving), bookmaking, computer programming, and digital storytelling.
McKinley Library - 121 East 3rd St, New York, NY, 10009 - 212-674-3180; ext. 3071 - firstname.lastname@example.org