I am a philosopher of biology and a communications consultant affiliated with University of Bordeaux/CNRS and working for the School of Biology at University of St. Andrews.
As Associated Researcher at the ImmunoConcept Lab, I analyze how concepts of niche construction and developmental scaffolding can provide new types of explanations for immune and evolutionary theorizing, focusing on the holobiont (the macro-organism and its associated microorganisms) as case study.
I am also interested in the practice and philosophy of science communications. I examine the constitutive role of communications strategies in interdisciplinary collaborations and the plurality of epistemic features realized by different types of communications media. Currently, I am working as the Media and Communications Officer of the Extended Evolutionary Synthesis research project.
Write me to say hi! Visit me in Vienna, Austria.
Constructing niches and building communities between science & philosophy since 2009.
I work on the philosophical implications of developmental scaffolding, niche construction, and host-microbiome associations.
I design communication initiatives to facilitate interdisciplinary understanding and construct supporting communities for career advancement.
I teach philosophy of biology and am working on integrating philosophy of science into sustainability curricula (and vice versa).
- Media and Communications Officer, University of St. Andrews, 2019 July - present
- Founder, Co-leader, Philosophy of Science Communication. 2019 - present
- Social Media Manager, Philosophers for Sustainability, 2019 - present
- Director of Communications, Association for the Scientific Studies of Consciousness, 2011 - 2014
- Co-Principal Investigator, Evolutionary Studies Group (EvoSt), University of Missouri. 2010 - 2012
- Ph.D./M.A., Philosophy, University of Missouri. Aug 2009 - Dec 2015
- Visiting Ph.D., Theoretical Biology, University of Vienna. Spring 2015
- Dissertation Writing-up Fellow, KLI Institute for Evolution and Cognition Research, Altenberg, Austria, 2013 Aug - 2014 Jan
- M. S. Psychology, National Taiwan University. Sept 2006 - July 2009
- B. S. Life Sciences, National Yang Ming University. Sept 2002 - July 2006
English (native), Mandarin Chinese (native), German (beginner), French (stalled), Python (artificial)