Applying to the Las Vegas Academy of the Arts
Please visit Las Vegas Academy Auditions to fill out a CCSD Magnet School Application and schedule your audition time. Auditions take place yearly in January. If there are still seats available after the January auditions, there will be late auditions in April.
Audition requirements for each instrument are listed below.
Auditions for the 2019-20 school year will take place on Saturday, January 12 and Saturday, January 26, 2019 at the Las Vegas Academy of the Arts.
Scheduling a Shadow Day
"Shadowing" a student at the Las Vegas Academy of the Arts gives prospective students a chance to experience the daily routine of a Band Major. Students are paired with a Sophomore band student and go to class throughout the day, and can even play in one of the bands (so please bring an instrument)! For information on available dates, or to register for a Shadow Day, please visit the Shadow Day Registration Form.
Woodwind and Brass Auditions
- Students will be asked to perform concert G, C, F, Bb, Eb, Ab, Db scales and a chromatic scale.
- Students should bring a prepared piece of 2-3 minutes in duration that demonstrates their skills.
- Please provide an original copy of the piece for the evaluators.
- Students will be asked to do a short sight-reading exercise.
- All students will perform the required snare etude (download here).
- Students should perform solo selection(s) of their choosing amounting to 3-7 minutes total (a mallet etude/solo is preferred).
- For example, students can perform a snare solo and a mallet solo in the 7 minute time.
- Please provide an original copy of the prepared music selections.
- Sight-reading will also be required on snare.