LoLa38, a collaboration of the Lindy Institute at Drexel and the People’s Emergency Center invites visual, media, design, and installation artists to participate in a creative-placemaking project focusing on the intersection of 38th and Lancaster.
We are seeking visual artists to interact with the fence bordering the former UCHS site on the corner of Powelton and Lancaster, creating a “drive by” work which is viewable from the traffic lanes.
As this lot continues to be developed by Wexford Science & Technology, we are looking to engage with questions about the changing landscape in the neighboring communities that abut the property. Art has the ability to ask and question in both oblique and direct ways, opening doors to communication that other tactics cannot.
One of several activations and interventions that will happen through 2017, the fence will engage a primarily vehicular audience, with some foot traffic.
DEADLINE TO EXPRESS INTEREST:
March 22nd, 2017
Materials & Installation Budget: reimbursable up to $300.
Eligibility: Residence or Work in West Philadelphia.
Contract agreement with Drexel University. Artist retains all rights to work.
Timeframe for fabrication and Installation:
We will coordinate with each artist identified to find a period of 1 week for installation and 3-4 weeks for display throughout the spring/summer/fall.
We are looking for artists who are eager to engage with one of the following questions:
- How does progress feel?
- Which walls are invisible?
- What is a good pace of change?
STAGE 1: Expression of Interest:
- Attend a site-visit and info-session (not required, but heck you’ll be in a better place with this information).
- Saturday March 11th: 12:30pm--2:00pm
- Wednesday March 15th: 5:30pm-7pm
2. Fill out the application form by Wednesday March 22nd at 11:59pm.
Artists advancing to Stage 2 will be announced on Friday, March 24th for the event on March 30th.
THE APPLICATION PERIOD HAS CLOSED.
STAGE 2: PechaKucha Round:
- Upload slides (15 max) using Dropbox. Invite your community and peers to come out and learn about your work at the Pecha Kucha Pitch on March 30th at 6pm.
- We’ll draw people in a random order to present their work. You’ll have 6 minutes to show and tell using the Pecha-Kucha presentation style (see description in FAQ below).
- Deliberate, debate and talk with fellow artists, community members, and project staff to determine which artists will install over spring/summer.
Up to 5 artists will be selected by the group of people in the room, inclusive of fellow artists, neighbors, community members, friends, curators, family and led by the LoLa38 Working Group and Leadership Team.
- Artistic Excellence
- Relationship to Question
- Evidence of past work / future promise
SEE THE FAQ PAGE FOR FURTHER DETAIL