The University of Texas at Austin
Welcome to Li Quan's homepage!
Li Quan is currently a Ph.D. candidate studying acoustics in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Texas at Austin. He received his B.S. and M.S. degree in acoustics from Nanjing University in 2011 and 2014, respectively. After one year working as a cellphone audio engineer at Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd, in 2015 he joined the Metamaterials & Plasmonics Research Laboratory, within affiliation to the Wireless Networking and Communications Group, at the University of Texas at Austin. He works under the supervision of Prof. Andrea Alù .
His research mainly aims to understand the physical mechanisms of interactions between waves and matters, especially in the scope of acoustics, seeking their possible industry applications. Li Quan's research span over a broad scope of acoustics, such as acoustic metamaterials, ultrasound non-destructive testing, physical model of MEMS microphones, etc. In the recent years, his main efforts have been devoted to the research of acoustic metamaterials and their exotic phenomena, with particular focuses on Willis coupling effect, non-reciprocal acoustic devices, low frequency acoustic beam collimation and acoustic effective impedance modulation.
Li Quan's main scientific contributions are the proposed theory of the bound of Willis coupling indicating that the previous higher-order perturbation assumption of this important effect was a misconception in the field, and actually, the Willis coupling effect can be as strong as the direct polarizabilities. He has also proposed the systematic design approach of acoustic inclusions which can reach the maximum Willis coupling. To date, he has authored and/or co-authored 11 journal papers, 11 conference papers and 4 patents, among which are published in highly selective journals, including Nature Communications and Physical Review Letters. He is also a reviewer for 13 international peer-review journals.
- May 13-17, 2019: Lecture presentation at the 177th Meeting of the Acoustic Society of America, Louisville, Kentucky.
- May 29-31, 2019: Invited talk at AmeriMech Symposium 2019, Columbia, Missouri.
- June 3-7, 2019: Lecture presentation at Phononics 2019, Tucson, Arizona.
- March 2019: Li Quan has successfully addressed a talk "Acoustic bianisotropic impedance and hyperbolic propagation in metasurfaces" at APS March Meeting 2019, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Nov. 2018: Li Quan has successfully passed the Ph.D. Qualifying Exam and be admitted to doctoral candidacy.