Li Quan, Ph.D.
The University of Texas at Austin
Welcome to Li Quan's homepage!
Li Quan received his B.S. and M.S. degree from Nanjing University in 2011 and 2014, and his Ph.D. degree from the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Texas at Austin in 2020. He works in the Metamaterials & Plasmonics Research Laboratory, within affiliation to the Wireless Networking and Communications Group, at the University of Texas at Austin. He works under the supervision of Prof. Andrea Alù.
His research mainly aims to understand the physical mechanisms of interactions between waves and matters, especially in the scope of acoustics, design novel devices, and seek their possible biomedical and industrial applications. Li Quan's research span over a broad scope of acoustics, such as acoustic metamaterials, ultrasound non-destructive testing, the physical model of MEMS microphones, etc. In the recent years, his main efforts have been devoted to the research of acoustic metamaterials and their exotic phenomena, with particular focuses on Willis coupling effect, non-reciprocal acoustic devices, low-frequency acoustic beam collimation and acoustic effective impedance modulation.
Li Quan's main scientific contributions are the proposed theory of the bound of Willis coupling indicating that the Willis coupling effect can be as strong as the direct polarizabilities. He has also proposed the systematic design approach of acoustic inclusions which can reach the maximum Willis coupling. To date, he has authored and/or co-authored 14 journal papers, 16 conference papers and 4 patents, among which are published in highly selective journals, including 2 Nature Communications and 3 Physical Review Letters. He is also a reviewer for 19 international peer-review journals.
- April 2020: Li Quan has successfully defended his Ph.D. and obtained his Ph.D. Degree.
- May 2019: Li Quan has successfully addressed an Invited talk "Maximum non-reciprocal Willis scatterers" at 2019 AmeriMech Symposium: Non-reciprocal and Topological Wave Phenomena in Solids and Fluids, Columbia, Missouri.
- May 2019: Li Quan has been selected to receive NSF Fellowship Award.
- May 2019: Li Quan has been selected to receive Professional Development Award from the University of Texas at Austin.
- May 2019: Li Quan has successfully addressed a talk "Surface acoustic waves over bianisotropic metasurfaces" at 177th Meeting of the Acoustical Society of America, Louisville, Kentucky.
- March 2019: Li Quan has successfully addressed a talk "Acoustic bianisotropic impedance and hyperbolic propagation in metasurfaces" at APS March Meeting 2019, Boston, Massachusetts.
- Nov. 2018: Li Quan has successfully passed the Ph.D. Qualifying Exam and be admitted to doctoral candidacy.