Bilohirya, Ukraine (current name)
"Lechovitz" or "Lechevitz" (Yiddish)
"Lechowitz", "Lyakhovtsy", "Liachovitz", "Lachowce", "Lechowicz," "Lakhovits," "Lakhovtsy", "Belogor'ye" (Russian) "Bilohir'ya" or "Bilohiria" (Ukrainian)
Lat: 50° 00', Long: 26° 25'
This web page
The purpose of this web page is to provide information for people interested in Jewish heritage from the town of Lechowitz. I also hope that descendants may recognize a name or a face and help add to the scant information for this town.
*Note About the Town Name*
Researchers of Lechowitz have significant challenges related to the town name. Jewish residents knew the town as "Lechowitz" or "Lechevitz," but there were other towns with the same or similar names. The larger town of Lechovich (Lyakovichi) in the Belarus is where most researchers find themselves. In fact, the surname database in the Belarus town contains at least some names of people who were from the Ukraine Lechowitz. Further complicating the matter, our Ukrainian Lechowitz was re-named to "Belogorye" by the Soviet government after World War II to make the town name sound more Russian and less Polish. The name "Belogorye" was a variation of the name "Belogorodke," a nearby town. The Ukrainian version of the town name is now Bilohiria. To add even further to the confusion, both the old version of the town's name (Lechowitz, Lechevitz, Lyakhovtsy, Lachowce....) and the new version (Bilohiria, Belogor'ye, Belogoria, Bilohiriya....) have multiple spelling variations. You may have to try every variation to find your results. This web page uses the names Bilohiria and Lechowitz, depending on context. As if this isn't complicated enough, consider the fact that our Bilohiria/Lechowitz was at one time part of Russia, then Poland, then the Soviet Union, then the Ukraine....
Bilohirya as shown on Mapquest (choose Khmelnytskyi Oblast)
Bilohirya as shown on Google maps
- JewishGen "All Country" Database (for Bilohirya)
- Search the JewishGen Ukraine Database
- Search the JewishGen Family Finder page for Bilohirya
- List of holocaust victims in the Yad Vashem database for Lyakhovtsy (you may have to search using other spelling variations)
- Records Index for LYAKHOVICHI BELARUS (this is a completely different town, but due to the similarity in names, this database lumps in records for Lechowitz/Bilohirya Ukraine)
- Concordance of Names in the Kremenets area, which contains some listings for Lechowitz, Ukraine
- The Routes to Roots Foundation www.rtrfoundation.org has marriage and death records for "Belogorye" from the ZAGS office in Khmelnitsky. Also check the records for Lyakhovichi (14 record groups from 5 archives in 3 countries).
Other lechowitz - Bilohirya Links
- The Grossman Project web page for Kornitsa contains valuable information about Lechowitz
- Article about the settlement of landsmen in the American Midwest
- Nebraska Jewish Historical Society (NJHS) issue of Summer/Fall 2010 has two excellent articles about Lechowitz
Compiled by Miriam Kirshner
Copyright © 2018 Miriam Kirshner
Photos on this website are not to be reproduced in any form without express written permission of the owners