The Beaumont Arms
This public house, directly opposite Kirkheaton church was originally called the Kirk Stile or Steele (church gate) and locals still know it as this, but its name now relates to the Beaumont family, local lords of the manor since the 14th Century. It might at first have been in the care of a minor church official who provided refreshment to those of the congregation who lived too far away to return home between church services. Indeed there is rumoured to be a tunnel connecting the pub to the church, although this has never been found. The churchwardens also met here, ostensibly to discuss church business, but because their refreshment came at the expense of the parish, there were often complaints that they took advantage to the extent of becoming so disorderly that sober respectable men were discouraged from seeking that office.
From early on the pub was associated with the upkeep of the law. It was used in the 14th Century as a gaol, the original stone cells where offenders were chained to the walls, still exist in the basement, which was occasionally also employed as a morgue. The inn was also used as a courthouse, with visiting local magistrates utilising the Squire's Room (used as a retiring room by the Lord of the Manor when he came to church) as their court room, and this was used later as a coroner's court. Then in 1797 the Kirkheaton Prosecution Society was formed there. This seems to have been a vigilante group, keen to guard the village against an increase in crime at a time when there was no official police force. Then in 1813 soldiers, brought in to suppress the Luddite uprising, were billeted here.
It became more of a coaching inn in the 17th Century with a cobbled coach drive and row of stables which have been incorporated into the building. But it has always been a meeting place for all sorts of local clubs and societies. In October 1843 a meeting of the fancy weavers in the district was held there with a view to establishing a committee to try and equalise wages. In 1859 the Kirkheaton Philharmonic Society began meeting there. The local flower and horticultural society held its exhibitions there. The pub had its own cricket club in the 1870s and in the 1880s ratepayers meetings were held there. Then in September 1903 a dinner was held there by friends and supporters of Hirst and Rhodes (see Kirkheaton Cricket Club) , two local men who played cricket for Yorkshire and were about to set off for a test series in Australia. Speeches were made wishing them luck and a safe return, reputations enhanced.
One particularly colourful annual event held at the public house was the annual Green Leaf Festival, a get together for local residents aged over 70, and there were plenty around. On 14th January 1893 over 80 old people arrived to the ringing of the church bells, to find a room decorated with evergreens, Chinese lanterns and cards with sentiments relevant to the season. An excellent tea was served and the committee members wore artificial roses. The Crosland Moor Glee Band, who happened to be visiting the village, offered to play dance music afterwards, and the church choir sang, after which there were several solo performances on the pianoforte. The Reverend Maddox then made a light hearted speech on the problems of getting older and ended by wishing them all a happy new year. Apparently the Green Leaf theme began when a group of young men used to meet at the inn, around 1883, for a sing-song and then began Christmas carolling around the village, each member wearing a green leaf in his buttonhole. On returning to the inn with their proceeds one year, the landlord, Richard Thornton, offered to add a sovereign to the funds if they would use if for and old people's treat. They readily agreed and to transport the very aged and infirm to the treat they requisitioned a wagonette, named "The Gloriette". The Green Leaf Party also arranged the first Kirkheaton sing in the field by the church in 1905.
On a more serious note several inquests were held at the inn, such as the one on Kirkheaton labourer Wright Rhodes, held on 8th June 1899. Rhodes, aged about 48, of Stafford Hill, had been found drowned with cuts to his throat the previous day. It was said he had attempted to take the life of Agnes Woodhouse, aged 19, with whom he co-habited, that morning, by cutting her throat as well as his own. He left the house saying he was going to drown himself and was found later that day drowned in 6 foot of water in Sheard’s Mill Dam at Gawthorpe Green. The coroner seemed more outraged by the age difference between the couple and the fact of their having lived together for two years, since the girl was 17, than by the death. The jury returned a verdict of " suicide by drowning".
An ancient custom that still continues inthe field next to church and inn is the Yetton Rant, an annual fair held at Whitsuntide (now Spring Bank holiday). Those children who attended the church and Sunday School could also take part in the Whit Tuesday Walk around the village accompanied by a local band. Everyone marched in their new clothes behind the rector, stopping at various points to sing rousing hymns. The streets were lined with villagers, especially the proud parents. The children returned to the school room to consume a tea everyone had contributed, before heading for the cricket ground to hear the band play and join in the sports. After that they were allowed to visit Yetton Rant, which by the 1950s included fairground stalls and rides and played the current chart toppers - the music belting out across the village.
The Co-operative Stores
There were several co-operative societies in Kirkheaton in the past. The first one, the Kirkheaton Co-operative Society was founded in 1834 when 10 handloom weavers joined forces to buy items needed for their work, including swifts and shuttles, but they also applied for licences as tea dealers and tobacco dealers. This was 10 years before the Rochdale Pioneers who are considered to be the founders of the co-operative movement. This society prospered and endured so that in May 1934 they were celebrating their centenary by presenting each member with a pewter teapot and food hamper and announcing a bumper dividend of 4 shillings in the pound (or 20%). This society was probably one and the same as the Field Head Co-operative Society who had their store from early on in Bankfield Road, an 18th Century building built in narrow stone courses with Venetian windows which, with the addition of a 20th century extension to the front, can still be seen today. The society owned 17 acres of land near the village which they farmed for the benefit of members, selling the produce and other foodstuffs, such as oats, lard, butter and flour from the store. The store had a drapery department too. In February 1868 the society provided a knife and fork tea to almost 300 of their customers and wives in a large room at the store, followed by songs from the choir and speeches, one about the history of the society and others bearing testimony to the advantages of co-operation. The society held half yearly general meetings, too, at which they announced the dividend for members. At one of these, in October 1894 the president, Mr Thomas Lee, announced that the store was to be enlarged.
Meanwhile the Kirkheaton Town Top Co-operative Society had sprung up and, also in February 1868, gave a knife and fork tea for their members, almost 200 of them, followed by a public meeting when the accounts were read by the secretary, Mr David Garthwaite.
Mr Cockshaw of the Huddersfield Industrial Society then gave a speech about the value of co-operation, urging any non-members to join.The Almondbury Glee Society then entertained. The Town Top Society had their own shop but in 1883/4 requested the Huddersfield Industrial Society to purchase their freehold property and stock, and a branch of the Huddersfield Society opened in the old store in January 1884. But soon the old store was considered to be inconvenient for the needs of the new owners, whose central committee agreed to a new purpose built store designed by architect Mr Berry, which was constructed without accident. At the opening of the new store in October 1887 the president of the Huddersfield Industrial Society, Mr. Broadbent, said the society had now done their duty by their Kirkheaton friends by providing such an admirable store and it now remained for the people of Kirkheaton to loyally support the society by using the store, which was a grocery and butcher's. That once new store is now used by Green's Furnishings.
Another local group, the House Hill Co-operative Society were also in business. In October 1868 they were sueing Mr G. Shaw at Huddersfield County Court for £4.14s.1d for goods supplied. The defendant had deposited a mahogany table with the society's agent, Mr Fisher, but this was not to the full value of the debt. He then tried to offset the debt by claiming 6 weeks work as a farm labourer for the society, but the agent proved he had already been paid for this. Shaw was ordered to pay the remainder in monthly instalments.
Shopsign
This former butcher's shop pictured is disused and falling into decay. The sign above the premises with the name "Douglas Cooper" is fading fast.
Milestones
This set of badly mis-spelt milestones pictured can be found at the crossroads on Moor Top Road close to the Blacksmith's Arms.
Stone trough
This can be found on Shop Lane just below its junction with Orchard Road and provides drinking water for animals, horses in particular. It must have come as a godsend to those horses forced to pull heavily laden carts and wagons up the steep hill from Waterloo and Dalton. It may be the same trough as that originally sited a little higher up the road, which was built to celebrate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1897. Close by is the area known as Cuckstool where the ducking stool once stood, used to duck scolds, witches and other offenders in the village pond as punishment. It was still in use in the 1700s.
See also Kirkheaton pages 1 and 3