The former Co-operative Stores in New Street consists of two buildings in completely contrasting styles (see photos).
The older of the two was built in two phases, being opened in 1886, extended and officially opened again in 1906. The style is Neo-Classical but with extravagant foliate decoration such as this angel amongst wreaths of flowers, 1910. The second building of 1936, by contrast, is bold and simple in design and has impressive art nouveau style motifs and lettering.
The Huddersfield Industrial Society was formed after a meeting at the Shears Inn on Beastmarket between members of the Bolton Unity of Oddfellows and a group of Huddersfield men who had been meeting at the Factory Inn in Factory Lane. The new society first opened a small grocery store in Johnson's Buildings in Buxton Road (now New Street). With new building work in 1886/7 on the corner of Buxton Road and Princess Street, this became the central co-operative store. Later, Johnson's Buildings were demolished to allow a new development, which was officially opened on 8th September 1906. Further extensions in 1936 meant the department store now occupied the whole of Buxton Road between Princess Street and Chapel Hill. The interior was renovated in 1993 but in 1999 the Society moved out and sold off the building. Besides the central store, between 1860 and 1901 the Society opened 22 smaller stores in surrounding districts and villages.
The pictured mural entitled "Facets of the Local Scene" above a cafe on the corner of New Street and Princess Street was designed by Mural Consultants Ltd. in 1967.
The mosaic pictured is entitled "Development of the Woollen Industry" shows how a cottage industry changed in the run up to the Industrial Revolution. It was designed by Harold Blackburn and the mosaicist was Professor Lavagno. It was created in 1967 and is situated above shops on Ramsden Street.
The public library in Princess Alexandra Place (see photos) has classical reliefs and two seated figures one of which is a "Youth Awaiting Inspiration" designed by James Woodford R.A. in 1939. The figures represent the youthful spirits of Literature and Art, listening to the whispering voices of Inspiration, which is symbolised in six small panels carved on the back and sides of their thrones.
The murals consist of groups of figures symbolising various cultural activities. Plaster casts of these panels were exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1939 and casts of the figures were in an exhibition there in 1940.
This figure of a medieval lady adorns the terracotta and pink granite Prudential Assurance building in New Street and dates from 1898. This building was designed by one of the great Victorian architects, Alfred Waterhouse, who had designed Manchester Town Hall and the Natural History Museum in London. He was President of the Royal Institute of British Architects from 1888-91. The "Prudentia" statue was sculpted by Birnie Rhind.
The Sculptured head pictured is one of several adorning a now empty building in High Street near the junction with New Street.
Decorative work on a building on Cross Church Street featuring a King George IV 1829 coin. This was once the "Sun Inn", established in 1803, which may account for the motifs used. The inn offered stabling, refreshments and accommodation to coach and horse travellers. The archway through to the yard behind is still there. The Sun Inn was right next door to a similar establishment, the White Lion, and between them they could stable 100 horses. The inn was rebuilt in 1893 at a cost of £8,000 in 'Queen Anne' style.
The entrance to the Waverley Buildings on Kirkgate, which dates from 1888.
This building housed the Waverley Hotel in the early 20th Century.
The Huddersfield lion stands proud above Lion Chambers, built 1852-4, in the heart of the town. The present lion is a fibreglass copy of the original which was made of Coade stone.
The main doorway of the current Lloyds Bank on Market Place is beautifully ornate. The architects were Gibson, Skipwith and Gordon and it dates from around 1912. The style is Neo-Classical Baroque. The outer doors have carved panels with images of local landmarks - the Parish Church, Castle Hill, the Civic Centre and the Railway Station.
The Face in stone above the Kirkgate Buildings (formerly Bulstrode Buildings) on Byram Street, typical of many to be found around the town.
The buildings date back to 1880, and were designed by William Henry Crossland for Sir J. W. Ramsden. Crossland went on to design Rochdale Town Hall.
The Symbol above the "Boy and Barrel" public house on Beastmarket which may well disappear in time. The town's cattle market was held in this area until the Corporation got around to building a new livestock market in the 1880s.
For more on the "Boy and Barrel" please see this website: www.JohnnysHistory.com
The Huddersfield Coat of Arms beautifully adorns the market building, formerly the wholesale market. The building was designed by Richard Dugdale, Borough Surveyor, and erected in 1887-8.
Memorial Plaque to Factory Fire Victims
See also Huddersfield pages 1 and 3