Gilsoo Lee is currently a PhD candidate in the Bradley Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, USA. He works with NetSciWiS@VT research group at Wireless@VT, under supervision of Dr. Walid Saad. He received his BS and MS in Electronic Engineering from Sogang University, Seoul, Korea. His research interests include fog computing (edge computing), Internet of Things (IoT) systems, network caching, unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) networks, smart factories, blockchain systems, vehicle-to-everything (V2X) communications, hyper-dense heterogeneous small cell networks, and energy-harvesting wireless networks. He is a recipient of Nokia Foundation Centennial Scholarship in 2018. He received the TAOS Technical Committee’s Best Paper Award for the Green Communications Symposium of IEEE ICC 2016. He was recognized as an exemplary reviewer by IEEE Transactions on Communications in 2018.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gilsoo-lee/ (LinkedIn - Gilsoo Lee)
The Network sciEnce, Wireless, and Security laboratory at Virginia Tech (NEWS@VT)
469 Durham Hall, 1145 Perry Street, Blacksburg, VA 24061, USA
Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, VA, USA
Ph.D. Candidate in Electrical Engineering (Aug. 2015 – 2019 (expected)), Advisor: Prof. Walid Saad
Sogang University, Seoul, Korea
M.S. in Electronic Engineering (Mar. 2013 – Feb. 2015), Advisor: Prof. Hongseok Kim
B.S. in Electronic Engineering (Mar. 2006 – Feb. 2013), Graduated with a honor (Magna Cum Laude)
HONORS & AWARDS
- Nokia Foundation Centennial Scholarship (Research project titled as “Online Framework for Low-Latency UAV-assisted Distributed Fog Computing in Smart Factories” ), Jun. 2018.
- TAOS Best Paper Award, IEEE ICC 2016, May 2016.
- Selected participant for Global Frontier Project Program (research and traveling grant), Sogang University, 2012.
- Sogang Scholarship for Academic Excellence, Sogang University, Fall 2006, Spring 2007, and Fall 2012.
- 7th Southeast Asia Student Fellowship, SIEAS, Sogang University, 2012.
- G. Lee, J. Park, W. Saad, and M. Bennis, Performance Analysis of Blockchain Systems with Wireless Mobile Miners, arXiv preprint, Jun. 2019.
- G. Lee, W. Saad, and M. Bennis, “An Online Optimization Framework for Distributed Fog Network Formation with Minimal Latency,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Feb. 2019.
- G. Lee, W. Saad, and M. Bennis, “Online Optimization Techniques for Effective Fog Computing under Uncertainty,” invited, IEEE MMTC Communications - Frontiers, vol. 12, no. 4, pp. 19-23, Jul. 2017.
- G. Lee, W. Saad, M. Bennis, A. Mehbodniya, and F. Adachi, “Online Ski Rental for ON/OFF Scheduling of Energy Harvesting Base Stations,” in IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol.16, no.5, pp.2976-2990, May 2017.
- G. Lee, H. Kim, "Green small cell operation of ultra-dense networks using device assistance," in Energies, no. 9 (12), Dec. 2016.
- G. Lee, H. Kim, Y. Cho, and S.-H. Lee, “QoE-aware scheduling for Sigmoid Optimization in Wireless Networks,” in IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 18, no. 11, pp. 1995–1998, Nov. 2014.
- G. Lee, W. Saad, and M. Bennis, “Online Optimization for UAV-assisted Distributed Fog Computing in Smart Factories of Industry 4.0,” in Proc.of the IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), Abu Dhabi, UAE, Dec. 2018.
- T. Park, G. Lee, and W. Saad, “Message-Aware Uplink Transmit Power Level Partitioning for Non Orthogonal Multiple Access (NOMA),” in Proc. of the IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), Abu Dhabi, UAE, Dec. 2018.
- G. Lee, W. Saad, and M. Bennis, Online Optimization for Low-Latency Computational Caching in Fog Networks, in Proc. of Fog World Congress, Santa Clara, CA, USA, November 2017.
- G. Lee, W. Saad, and M. Bennis, “An Online Secretary Framework for Fog Network Formation with Minimal Latency,” in Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Commun. (ICC), Paris, France, May 2017, pp. 1–6.
- G. Lee, W. Saad, M. Bennis, A. Mehbodniya, and F. Adachi, “Online Channel Allocation for Full-Duplex Device-to-Device Communications,” in Proc. of IEEE Globecom Workshops, Washington D.C., USA, Dec. 2016, pp. 1–6.
- G. Lee, W. Saad, M. Bennis, A. Mehbodniya, and F. Adachi, “Online ski rental for scheduling self-powered, energy harvesting small base stations,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Commun. (ICC), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, May 2016, pp. 1–6.
- G. Lee and H. Kim, “Green small cell operation using belief propagation in wireless networks,” in Proc. of IEEE Globecom Workshops, Austin, TX, USA, 2014, pp. 1266–1271.
- G. Lee, H. Kim, Y.T. Kim, and B. H. Kim, Delaunay Triangulation Based Green Base Station Operation for Self Organizing Network, in Proc. of IEEE GreenCom, Beijing, China, Aug. 2013.
- Y. Kim, G. Lee, H. Kim, B. Kim, Device for supporting on/off of small base station in wireless communication network, US Patent 9,794,844, 2013.
- Y. Kim, H. Kim, G. Lee, Method for supporting self-organization network based on Delaunay triangulation and apparatus for same, US Patent 9,763,184, 2013.
Google Scholar: Link
- Network Science, Wireless, and Security Group (NetSciWiS), Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, USA (http://www.netsciwis.com)
Graduate Research Assistant, Aug. 2015 – present
- Networking for Information Communication and Energy (NICE) Lab, Sogang University, Seoul, Korea (http://nice.sogang.ac.kr)
Graduate Research Assistant, Feb. 2012 – Feb. 2015
- ECE5484 Fundamentals Computer Systems, Virginia Tech - Spring 2016
- ECE3544 Digital Design I, Virginia Tech - Fall 2015
- EEE2051 Basic Electronics Laboratory, Sogang University - Spring 2013
- STS2008 C Programming, Sogang University - Fall 2013
- TPC member of IEEE MASS 2019: Protocols and Cross-Layer Technologies Track.
- Session chair for Spectrum Sensing and Access Symposium Track, IEEE ICC 2017.
- Exemplary reviewer of IEEE Transactions on Communications, 2018
- Reviewer for journals including IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, IEEE Transactions on Communications, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, IEEE Internet of Things Journal, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics & Security, IEEE Transactions on Green Communications and Networking, and KICS/IEEE Journal of Communications and Networks, and ELSEVIER Computer Communications.
- Reviewer for conferences including GLOBECOM (2015–2018), ICC (2017, 2018), ISCC (2017-2019), WCNC (2016–2018), SmartGridComm (2016, 2018), COMSNETS (2016), NTMS (2016), ISWCS (2016– 2018), PIMRC (2014–2018), 5G World Forum (2018), ICNC (2019) and VTC (2014).