Associate Professor, Ph.D., IEEE Senior Member
Academy of Finland Research Fellow
Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering
Centre for Wireless Communications (CWC), University of Oulu, FINLAND
22.8.2018: The positions are REopen again until 29.8.2018
28.6.2018: OPEN POSITIONS (apply by August, 1st)
1-2 PhD positions and 1 Postdoc position at:
- 12/2018: Will deliver a tutorial on ML/AI at IEEE GLOBECOM 2018 together with Dr. Walid Saad.
- 09/2018: Will deliver a keynote at the workshop on "recent Developments in 5G New Radio (5G-NR) towards Ultra-Reliable Low-Latency Communication" held in conjunction with IEEE PIMRC 2018.
- 09/2018: Will deliver a tutorial on UAVs at IEEE PIMRC 2018 together with Dr. Walid Saad.
- 1.6.2018: Acting as PhD opponent at Ursula Challita, University of Edinburgh (Congratulations!).
- 3.5.2018: Acting as PhD opponent at KTH for Guang Yang (Congratulations!).
- 2.5.2018: Our recent work on Low-Latency and Ultra-Reliable Virtual Reality (https://lnkd.in/ejZkAxP) cited by Andre Fuetsch, president of AT&T Labs and CTO.
- 19.3.2018: On-device machine learning paving the way for beyond vanilla 5G: https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/telecom/wireless/smartphones-will-get-even-smarter-with-ondevice-machine-learning
- 29.1.2018 New website up and running - (old link http://www.ee.oulu.fi/~bennis/ will not be updated)
- 1/2018: Promoted to Associate Professor.
- 12/2017: Delivers a tutorial on "The Internet of Things: Enablers, Technologies, and Applications" at IEEE GLOBECOM 2017 together with Dr. Walid Saad.
- 12/2017: Co-chair of the 8th International Workshop on Wireless Networking and Control for UAVs, at IEEE GLOBECOM 2017.
- 09/2017: HIRING 1 Postdoc and 2-3 PhD students to work on 5G and Beyond topics.
- 11/2017: Congratulations Dr. Sumudu Samarakoon who graduated with honors!!
- 11/2017: Recent keynote presentation on URLLC.
- 09/2017: 2017 ALL-UNIVERSITY of Oulu Research Award
- 6/2017: Best Paper Award from the 26th European Conference on Networks and Communications (EuCNC'2017).
- 3/2017: EURASIP Best paper Award for the Journal of wireless communications and networks.
- 11/2016: NOKIA research donation on FOG COMPUTING.
- 06/2016: Awarded a NOKIA visiting professor grant for a visit to Princeton University (2017).
- 5G and beyond
- Ultra-reliable and low latency communication (URLLC)
- Virtual reality, edge/fog computing
- Millimeter-wave communication
- Unmanned aerial vehicles
- IoT, MTC
- 5G-V2X, smart cities
- Machine learning, AI for wireless
I'm an Associate Professor at the Centre for Wireless Communications, University of Oulu, Finland and an Academy of Finland Research Fellow. My main research interests are in radio resource management, heterogeneous networks, game theory and machine learning in 5G networks and beyond. I have co-authored one book and published more than 200 research papers in international conferences, journals and book chapters. I have been the recipient of several awards including the 2015 Fred W. Ellersick Prize from the IEEE Communications Society, the 2016 Best Tutorial Prize from the IEEE Communications Society, the 2017 EURASIP Best paper Award for the Journal of Wireless Communications and Networks and the all-University of Oulu award for researc. I am an editor of IEEE TCOM.
Awards and Honours
9/2017: All-UNIVERSITY of OULU award for research.
6/2017: Best student paper Award at EUCNC 2017.
3/2017: 2017 EURASIP Best paper Award for the Journal of wireless communications and networks.
11/2016: NOKIA research donation on FOG COMPUTING.
06/2016: NOKIA visiting professor grant for a visit to Princeton University
5/2016: Best paper award at the European Wireless Conference, Oulu, Finland.
04/2016: Transmission, Access, and Optical Systems (TAOS) Technical Committee's Award
04/2015: IEEE Fred W. Ellersick Prize
09/2015: Academy of Finland Research Fellow (2015-2020)