July 29, 2025
Shi Yongxin, the 59-year-old abbot of China's famous Shaolin Temple, is under investigation for embezzling temple funds and maintaining improper relationships with women as accused by the Chinese Communist Party. The Buddhist Association stripped his ordination certification this week after 24 years as temple leader. The scandal has rocked the 1,500-year-old birthplace of kung fu and Zen Buddhism, drawing over 560 million views on Weibo.
The 1,500-year-old temple, based in the mountains of Henan province, is often viewed as the home of Zen Buddhism. Its founder, the Bodhidharma, was said to have arrived “from the western regions” in the local hills and meditated in a nearby cave for nine years, facing the wall and sitting in silence. In recent decades, the temple has grown beyond just a religious institution. The temple has featured in films and television series, including the popular 1982 film Shaolin Temple.
The investigation raises questions about the commercialization of religious sites. Shi, 59, travelled the world, with an iPhone and an iPad, and holds an MBA, earning the nickname “the CEO monk”. Abbot Shi Yongxin ran one of the country’s most revered and historic sites, a sort of Glastonbury Abbey and York Minster rolled into one. Shaolin Temple in Zhengzhou is the reputed home of Zen Buddhism and the “kung fu” martial arts, known as wushu to the Chinese. However, under the eyes of Abbot Shi, the Temple became a brand. In 2008, the temple opened an online shop. The same year, the China Daily reported that Shi had been criticised after Shaolin announced its plans to set up its own “franchises” in other Chinese temples. In 2015, Shi stirred up controversy with his plan to build a hotel complex worth almost $300 million in Australia. Designs included a kung fu academy, a live-in temple and a golf course.
“Shi’s actions are very bad, severely tarnishing the reputation of the Buddhist community and undermining the image of monks,” the state-backed Buddhist Association of China said in an official announcement on Monday, as he was placed “under investigation”.
Seventeen business ventures controlled by Shi Yongxin are also being audited, according to a report in the South China Morning Post. He is also under criminal investigation for misappropriating temple assets and has had his ordination certificate revoked.
July 28, 2025
The Office of Personnel Management (OPM) on Monday sent guidance to federal agencies across the Trump administration, detailing the new requirements, which ensure federal workers can display Bibles, crucifixes, or mezuzahs on their desks; pray in groups while off-duty; invite colleagues to church; and speak about their religious beliefs, even to the public, without fear of reprisal.
Federal agencies are now required to protect religious expression in the workplace, according to a new government-wide memo obtained by Fox News Digital today. The memo, titled "Protecting Religious Expression in the Federal Workplace," was sent to agencies by OPM Director Scott Kupor on Monday, and obtained exclusively by Fox News Digital.
"Federal employees should never have to choose between their faith and their career," OPM Director Scott Kupor told Fox News Digital. "This guidance ensures the federal workplace is not just compliant with the law but welcoming to Americans of all faiths. Under President Trump’s leadership, we are restoring constitutional freedoms and making government a place where people of faith are respected, not sidelined."
"Allowing religious discrimination in the Federal workplace violates the law. It also threatens to adversely impact recruitment and retention of highly-qualified employees of faith," the memo states. "The First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution robustly protects expressions of religious faith by all Americans—including Federal employees.
Kupor details examples of religious expressions that are permissible—including employees keeping Bibles on their desk and reading it during breaks; keeping rosary beads or tefillin on their desks, and using those items to pray during breaks.
Kupor notes that agencies "may restrict all posters, but an agency may not single out religious posters, such as those of a crucifix, a Bible verse, or a Star of David, for harsher treatment. An employee may wear a cross, as well as clothing displaying a religious message."
The OPM memo comes following President Trump’s executive orders on eradicating anti-Christian bias and establishing a Religious Liberty Commission. This makes sense as the majority of religious expression that was mentioned within the memo as well as by Kupor was Christian and Judaic focused. The office is housed under the Domestic Policy Council and consults with experts in the faith community on policy changes to "better align with American values."
F.P.N. Opinion
However, we must remember that the "American values" of the current administration revolves around straight, white Christian Nationalism. While we encourage freedom of religious expression, having it within the workplace does not allow for a safe space for a variety of individuals. This will also further authorize the discrimination of individuals based off of one's personal beliefs. We do not condone this action, finding it hateful and discriminatory, something that lines up with the new "American Values."
July 27, 2025
In March 2023, the Biden administration made a sudden change in how the government processes green cards in the category that includes both abused minors and religious workers. It created new backlogs that threaten the ability of thousands of clergy, administrators and others to remain in the United States. Attorneys estimate so many people are now in the queue that the wait is at least a decade long, because only 10,000 of these green cards can be granted annually.
The State Department announced that for nearly seven years it had been placing in the wrong line tens of thousands of applications for neglected or abused minors from Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, and would then start adding those to the general queue with the clergy. Since the mid-2010s, a surging number of youth from these countries have sought humanitarian green cards or asylum after illegally crossing into the U.S. This change means that only applications filed before January 2019 are currently being processed, moving forward the Central American minors by a few months but giving clergy with expiring visas no option but to leave their U.S. congregations behind.
“They’re doing everything they’re supposed to be doing and all of a sudden, they’re totally steamrolled,” said Matthew Curtis, an immigration attorney in New York City whose clients, like an Israeli rabbi and a South African music minister, are running out of time. “It’s like a bombshell on the system.”
Across all faith traditions, there are few options for these workers to continue their U.S.-based ministry, attorneys say. At a minimum, they would need to go abroad for a year before being eligible for another temporary religious worker visa, and repeat that process, paying thousands in fees, throughout the decade – or for however long their green card application stays pending.
“A big concern is that leaving is not really viable. The church will replace the pastor or shut down, it’s too much instability,” said Calleigh McRaith, Castillo’s attorney in Minnesota.
In a report released Thursday, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services blamed the EB-4 backlogs on the surge in applications by minors from Central America, and said the agency found widespread fraud in that program.
The Senate and House bills would allow the Department of Homeland Security to extend religious workers’ visas as long as their green card application is pending. They would also prevent small job changes — such as moving up from associate to senior pastor, or being assigned to another parish in the same diocese — from invalidating the pending application.
July 26, 2025
In Texas and California, mosques have been vandalized with graffiti. As a result, Muslim leaders have increased their security presence, which is their right. American Muslims state that these incidents have added to the already-charged climate with around the Israel-Palestine genocide and the United States' involvement.
“The past two years have been extremely difficult for American Muslims,” said Edward Ahmed Mitchell, national deputy director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, a Muslim civil rights and advocacy organization.
“Since October 2023, we’ve definitely seen rise in Islamophobia,” said Rawand Abdelghani, who is on the board of directors of Nueces Mosque, one of the affected mosques in Austin, Texas. “Anti-Palestinian, anti-immigrant, all of that rhetoric that’s being said … it has contributed to things like this happening.”
Salam Al-Marayati, president of the Muslim Public Affairs Council, said “if people think they can get away with graffiti, then the next step is to firebomb a mosque or even go attack worshippers.”
Nueces had already increased its security camera use following three incidents last year, including someone throwing rocks at the mosque. The Nueces security footage showed an individuals with their face partially covered. They spray-painting what appears to be Star of David symbols at the property. In Texas, a gathering at Nueces brought together neighbors and others, including Christians and Jews, to paint over the vandalism, clean up the property and garden.
CAIR Austin said similar incidents were reported at two other Austin mosques. Referencing former President Joe Biden, the CAIR report said that for “the second year in a row, the Biden-backed Gaza genocide drove a wave of Islamophobia in the United States.” They all seemingly happened on the same night in May, in what the group described as part of “a disturbing pattern of hate-motivated incidents” calling for the increase in security.
The Islamic Center of Southern California has been targeted before, including vandalism in 2023 and separate threats that authorities said in 2016 were made by a man who was found with multiple weapons in his home.