DIVISION I – GRADES 1 & 2
Introduction of basic rules and fundamental skills of the game of basketball. Provide an active and fun atmosphere so players want to continue to play!
To introduce and correctly execute the following: ready position, strong hand lay-up, control dribble, chest pass, bounce pass, two handed overhead pass, receiving ball, pivoting, triple threat position*, defensive position, set shot, foul shot, positioning and court awareness.
- Introduce ready position.
- Dribble ball with control and head up at various speeds with both left and right hands.
- To properly execute the skill of receiving the ball when it is passed by a teammate.
- To properly execute a chest pass, bounce pass and two handed overhead pass with a partner, and during a drill, or a scrimmage.
- Properly execute a set shot.
- Understand the concept of not "traveling", and the need to use a "pivot foot"
- Execute proper defensive stance and how to move in 1-on-1 defense. Begin to understand positioning on the court relative to the basket.
- Introduce foul shot and proper lane set up.
Knowledge of offensive and defensive positioning and spacing.
*Triple threat position – square up to the basket allowing player to dribble, pass or shoot.
DIVISION II – GRADES 3 & 4
Review of the basic offensive and defensive skills learned in Division I and introduce more advanced offensive and defensive skills with more emphasis on man-to-man defensive principles.
Review all skills presented in Division I. Introduce and properly execute the following skills: weak hand lay-up, cross-over and spin dribble, dribble/drive series, baseball pass, man-to-man defensive principles, rebounding, getting open to receive a pass.
Properly execute a weak hand lay-up.
- Properly execute the cross-over and spin dribble, low control and high speed dribble.
- Practice the dribble/drive series from the Triple Threat position. Re-emphasis on squaring yourself to the basket and getting yourself open for the ball, i.e. cutting.
- Proper execution of the baseball pass.
- Introduce man-to-man defensive principles. Stay between your man and the basket. Keep an eye on the ball.
- Utilize shuffle, angle and drop step when
defending the dribbler
defending player without the ball
defending perimeter players with and without the ball
defending post players
- Introduce “V” and “L” cut to get open to receive the ball.
- Introduce simple offensive plays, i.e. “give and go” and back door.
- Properly execute a jump shot from (A) standstill, (B) a pass, (C) a dribble.
DIVISION III – GRADES 5 & 6
Review of the basic offensive and defensive skills learned in Divisions I and II. Work on more sophisticated offensive and defensive strategies, plays, and situational understanding.
Review Division I and Division II skills. Introduce and properly execute the following skills: double teaming, weakside/strongside defense, fast break principles among others.
- Review man-to-man principles when on defense as stated in Division II, additionally:
Double teaming a player on the ball.
Weakside/stronside help defense.
Open and close up the paint.
Deny the pass and recover.
- Introduce screening, weak and strong side
- Introduce the fast break and its principles:
Appropriate outlet pass with verbal communication (outlet)
Execution of filling the 3 lanes with communication (i.e. outlet, corner, trailer)
Ball should be brought up the middle of the floor
Appropriate pass at the end of the break in both the 3-on-2 and 2-on-1 breaks. (i.e. 2-on-1 break don’t give up the ball until the defense forces you to.)
- Review strong/weak hand lay-ups, set shot, foul shots, jump shot.
- Introduction of the Mikan Drill and power moves for post players.