Dr Evgenios Kakariadis
School of Mathematics, Statistics and Physics, Newcastle University
Contact: evgenios [dot] kakariadis [at] ncl [dot] ac [dot] uk
I am a tenured Assistant Professor (i.e., UK Lecturer) in Pure Mathematics, and the Secretary of the North British Functional Analysis Seminars.
My main research area is Operator Algebras and their Applications, while I am also interested in applications of Mathematics in Healthcare. I like progressive music, sociology, psychology and sci-fi literature, and I am almost certain there is a concrete connection of those with my research.
Current Roles in Newcastle
- Teaching and Curriculum Co-ordinator for the Pure Mathematics Section.
- Organizer of the Analysis Seminar.
- Organizer of the Functional Analysis Learning Seminar.
News (last 12 months)
- Paper on "Applications of entropy of product systems: higher-rank graphs" accepted at Linear Algebra and its Applications.
- Banff supported Focussed Research Group on "Noncommutative boundaries for tensor algebras", March 2020.
- Paper on "Equilibrium states and entropy theory for Nica-Pimsner algebras" published at Advances in Mathematics.
- Colloquium Talk at the University of Athens, December 2019.
- Analysis Seminar Talk at Leiden, December 2019.
- LMS Grant to visit Prof Soren Eilers and Dr Adam Dor-On in Copenhagen, November 2019.
- Paper on "Finite dimensional approximations for Nica-Pimsner algebras" published online at Ergodic Theory and Dynamical Systems.
- Paper with Ken Davidson on "A proof of Boca's Theorem" published at Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh Section A.
- Invited talk: "IWOTA 2019: Session on Analysis and Synthesis for Operator Algebras", July 2019, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Paper with Adam Dor-On on "Operator algebras for higher rank analysis and their application to factorial languages" accepted at Journal d'Analyse Mathématique.
- Two invited plenary talks: "8th Summer School in Operator Theory", July 2019, University of Athens, Greece.
- Shortlisted by the Students' Union for the "Outstanding Contribution to Teaching - SAGE Faculty" category and the "Outstanding Contribution to Feedback" category for The Education Awards.
- Our entry on AMR Surveillance Analysis won the 3rd prize at the Wellcome Data Re-use Prize - Surveillance.
- Wonderful news as my PhD student Robbie Bickerton passed his VIVA with minor corrections. Well done, Robbie!
- Promoted to EPSRC Peer Review College Full Member.
- Paper with Orr Shalit "On operator algebras associated with monomial ideals in noncommuting variables" published at the Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications.
- Selected by EPSRC for the Mathematical Sciences Strategy Workshop (March 2019).
- New preprint with Elias Katsoulis and Xin Li on "Operator algebras of higher rank numerical semigroups".
I like music, sociology, psychology and sci-fi literature and I am sure there is a concrete connection with what I do in my life and research. It appears that I am good at soccer during conferences.
The views I express here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer .
Visits since 2012: