Leadership Theory in Education: Concepts & Practices
Concepts of leadership and the role of leadership in educational settings.
"In industrial, educational, and military settings, and in social movements, leadership plays a critical, if not the most critical role, and is therefore an important subject for study and research. "
(Bass, 2008, p. 25)
The 'Big' Ideas:
- What is leadership?
- Positivism vs Constructionism (trait/entity vs collective debate)
- Women /Minorities under represented
- Social Justice ?
- Impact of technology on leadership (social media presence)
- Fullan & New Pedagogies for Deep Learning (NPDL)
All resources for the course will be posted on this website (........) and all blogs/reflections will be posted on Mightybell: ......
The course is currently divided into three main parts:
- Setting the Stage ( wks. 1 to 4 ) ---> entity/trait theories, case studies, the 'big' ideas --> looking at the latest peer reviewed research . Overview:
- Scientific management (early 20th century) ~ scientific approach to management
- Human relations (30's & 40's) ~ Maslow's hierarchy of needs
- Structural-functionalism (40's & 50's) ~ tension between rational organizational needs and irrational human demands
- Systems theory (the 60's) ~ organizations shaped by environments
- Contingency theory (60's & 70's) ~ loosely built on open systems, leaders, rather than environments in the center again
- LMX theory (70's & 80's) ~ leadership in terms of relationship between leader and follower
- Leading Individuals ( wks. 5 to 9 )--> Major theories (student presentations). Overview:
- Leader-Member-Exchange (LMX)
- Transformational /Transactional
- Leadership Collectives (organizational theories, weeks 10 to 13) -- > Organizational context for leadership. Overview:
- Leadership Ethics (psycho-dynamic)
- Team Leadership
- Gender and Leadership
- Culture and Leadership
The focus will depend on student interests and background. I reserve to right to change and substitute one or more readings.
Hope you join me on this great online adventure!
If you have any questions please contact me via email or Twitter.